Nausea

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 8 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hi -Looking for any practical tips. 

My Dad was recently diagnosed with inoperable Pancreatic cancer with secondary liver and stomach cancer. We are focusing on enjoying all the time we have left with Dad however long or short that is. He is practically bed bound and taking steroids and about to start CREON so we hope he can eat a little more, but he does experience nausea. I know this is to be expected with all that is happening, but wondering if anyone had any practical tips are drinks to try and alleviate as much as possible. Any tips or help would be much appreciated

Clare x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

hi Clare - sorry to hear you are going through this.  My husband has inoperable pancreatic cancer too,  and having chemo.  We didn't discover creon until round 2 or 3 - it is marvellous and helps a lot - he takes 3 tables right before every meal - I think you can take more though.  He was also advised to take omeprazole (heartburn stuff) twice a day to stop the acid building up.  It's worth asking about that.  Our hospital have been really helpful.  My husband can't drink water, but does love vimto!  He's recently been having 'complan' as a way of getting nutrition when he can't face food.  His appetite has reduced massively, so he tends to have smaller portions, but tries to eat more often.  Sometimes it's porridge for his tea!  He now tends to sleep a bit propped up, rather than lying flat.

I hope that helps, and you find a way through this.  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hey thanks so much for coming back to me and I am sorry you and your husband are going through a pretty rubbish time. We are waiting for the CREON to come in but the challenge is getting my Dad to eat. The GP has just prescribed some Anti nausea tablets, but I really like your point re heartburn medication as I think this is definitely a factor. My Dad struggles with water as well but loves Milk. We are also getting a new bed support as he struggles to sit up which I think will make him feel more sick.

This forum is so helpful just to talk to people going through this and i really appreciate you taking the time to help us

C x

• FormerMember

HI - hope today has been a good day.  If your dad likes milk, the 'complan' can be made with milks (it's like a meal replacement shake) - it is a way of getting nutrition into them.  My husband has started putting honey in his tea now too.  I'm going to try and speak to a dietician tomorrow as my husband is struggling with food and I think I need some pointers.  

• FormerMember

Hey, just seeing how you are doing and if you got to speak to the dietician  for help?

• FormerMember

hi - it didn't happen as he 'forgot' to ask - hmm I'm never sure what is 'chemo brain' and what is stubbornness!  However, a visiting nurse (re pain control) suggested we speak to a dietician - so it will now happen.  Hope it's going ok for you. 

• FormerMember

Hey there. Yeah has been really tough as Dad passed away on Sunday morning. Less than 3 weeks from diagnosis. Although there were very difficult days, the final 12 hours were peaceful and Dad was in no pain and very relaxed so to be honest I could not ask any more in such a shitty situation. The thing I learned last week was ask for every bit of help available and mog to assume anything is normal with this cruel disease. Definitely get that dietician appointment and get everything to keep your husband as strong as possible. Take care and please reach out if you need to chat or just rant Clare x

• FormerMember

oh Clare - I am so so sorry to read this.  The more I learn of pancreatic cancer the crueler it seems.  It is just so aggressive.  and by the time it is discovered it is often too late.  I don't think my husband has as much time as we initially thought/hoped for, but we will do everything we can to get him more.  Having said that, peaceful final hours will also be a wish.  take care of yourself, and be kind to yourself. x

• FormerMember

Hey I was thinking about you today and thought I would send you a message to see how you and your husband are doing. Hoping you have had a good few days x