waiting, waiting, waiting

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 6 replies
  • 25 subscribers

It's bizarre... When I read my other discussion posts I sound so weepy and not together... but I think most of that is the freedom to pour out here, then I gather myself for the me that is by my dad and with my family coping and supporting and being less self - focused. 

Now I'm here with my darling dad as he continues very slowly and steadily... I can't grasp how he can keep going, but he does. He doesn't want to go, he has never "comes to terms" with it... (I have seen that with loved ones, grace and calm and more concerned for us remaining then themselves - how do they do that? ) - he doesn't want to go, I am not ready for him to go but I can't breathe that in this room, and I know that he HAS TO GO sometime soon. I don't want him cling on as things get worse.

The attempt to catheterise him 36hrs ago wasn't successful and in order to have the alternative method he needs to be in hospital,  but we promised him we won't do that - he had us promise no hospital, no hospice... so there's no catheter (but no urine since July 3rd - Weds morning, but no fluids in since Tuesday evening). He's not directly evidencing any pain and has only ever had one small dose of morphine. His other meds are there to aide secretions and reduce agitation but I find it inconceivable that there's no pain or discomfort... and worry that the meds make it impossible for him to show it... it's all such a conundrum... and, again, I'm back to my inner anxiousness...

Forgive me, but the nights are long and I'm here alone for 12 hours+. It's a relief is a pop to the loo, or make a brew and when I pop upstairs to check in my 80 yr old mum sleeping there, at the tail end if her pneumonia and facing the loss of her soul mate. 

So I/we just wait, hoping that my darling dad can let go. 

• Dear Robin 

So much of what you express links so closely to my heart. This is a land of confusion we reside in. Emotions swinging backwards and forwards. Bouts of complete numbness of mind.Then memories fly  in and out like unruly kites in the wind. Keep expressing yourself on this site as I will. Keep strong my friend.

Geoff x

At the end of all our journeying will be to find ourselves back where we started knowing the place for the first time. TS ELIOT.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Geoff999

I'm on here now because enough time has passed for me to be able to write that MY DARLING DAD IS DEAD...

Yes, he's dead. He's dead... And the last 75 hours of his life were dreadful for us - and I fear for him, but I can never know - and maybe this not actually knowing 100% will,in time, help things to be better.

My darling dad died on Monday 8th July at 12.00 midday.... after 2hours of emotional trauma and wrangling with the District Nurses, the call out of a Team Leader, and my near hysterical argument... followed by a consultation between the Team Leader DN and one of the GPs away at our surgery and her return to give dad some morphine pain cover via the syringe driver and sub-cut buscopan.

The conclusion being -16hrs too late - to 'think outside the box'.

The buscopan had been given and the driver was about to be locked up and started...

I am haunted by the events of that last night on Sunday and the visions and sounds of Dad dying. I am an atheist but Dad was not so I begged his 'God' to let him go, to take him and save him and to me that 'God' said no. At times I longed to be strong enough to kill him, but I couldn't - not just for him, but for me, Mum, my husband and my family... it would only have added trauma.

I can't yet articulate the issues.

I am not consoled by the fact that we were with him, that my left arm was beneath the pillow under his skeletal and ravaged head as and I cradled him and stroked his right shoulder, as I and my sister (holding his right hand) and Mum (supported by a brother, was on his left side) spoke lovingly to him, whilst my two brothers broke their hearts.

It was not beautiful. The relief was desperate. The impact devastating.

It was the dreadful death of my darling dad, when he was in a place physically, mentally and wholly, that to me was potentially hellish.

I have to go now. I can't sleep, I sit here intermittently burying my face n that last pillow to smell him once more.

I don't know if my post breaks the rules... I can't think.

• Hi Robin

Thank you for letting us know about your Dad. I’m so sorry to hear your news and very sorry to hear that the last hours were difficult for you all. I hope the admins don’t edit your post as you are simply describing how you felt about the situation.

It may not seem possible now but in due course the thoughts of your Dad’s last hours will diminish in sadness and instead you will return to remembering the good times. 

Personally, I have found it supportive to stay on this site and chat. You might find the same.

Sending you warm thoughts.

Squeaky

• Robin redbreast, I am so sorry to read your post but glad your dad is no longer suffering. I understand every sentence you wrote. I hope that your happier memories will surface and overcome the more recent ones. I am sure that is what your dad would want. I know it may not help, but I, and many others are thinking of you xx

Love is eternal
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Needing friends

Hi Robin 

im so terribly sorry. Much love to you x

• Hi Robin. 

Words fail me for your trauma and devastating loss. 

( Respectfull hug )

At the end of all our journeying will be to find ourselves back where we started knowing the place for the first time. TS ELIOT.