Creons

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Hello all,

My Dad is suffering with constipation which is worse after chemo. This isn’t unexpected but takes 24 hours to clear leaving him bloated and uncomfortable.  He has been to GP and is taking tablets to soften the stools and sennokot every day. It generally works except after chemo.

I realise this is quite a minor thing to contend with compared to lots of people but it’s what makes him feel out of sorts and depressed.

Dad hasn’t been prescribed creons, the oncologist said he didn’t need them, but I wonder if it’s time?

Do any of you know whether creons would help with constipation? I know they help the digestive system to absorb nourishment from the food you eat and wondered if in turn this might help with his problem?

Conversely, does anyone know if it would make the situation worse?

Also, I have read that some people can’t take creons, why would this be?

Thank you all so much, just trying to the best I can for my Dad.

mm

• Hi Meg Mac

My wife Anne is also taking Creon and she to has constipation and bloating although she isnt having chemo. The Community Dietition has recently been to see her  and gave advice on her food intake as well as fluids. It's early days yet but to date nothing she does seems to help. Getting the right balance of Creon is the thing people have to work on as we are all different. Perhaps your Community Dietition may be able to help ? Sorry I have no definitive answer but believe me your Dad isn't alone with this problem, its fairly common so we have been told.

Geoff999

At the end of all our journeying will be to find ourselves back where we started knowing the place for the first time. TS ELIOT.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Geoff999

Hello Geoff,

Thankyou so much for your reply.  It does help to know that it is common.

My Mum is a great home cook and Dad has always grown veg until recently. The vast majority of their shopping is fresh fruit & veg which is why I'm surprised (& not a little worried) this is a symptom he has.

Dad is drinking plenty as he was hospitalised initially for dehydration & is desperate not to be readmitted so he is hyper aware of his fluid intake.

Thankyou again, I think I will email the nurses & ask.

Take care yourselves

Mm

• Hi Meg Mac

I think that Creon helps digestion of food and turning it into nutrition. As Geoff says constipation is quite common with PC and also after chemo.

i haven’t read that people can’t take Creon although they are big capsules to swallow and some people find it easier to break them open and eat them with applesauce or something similar.

Squeaky

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Squeaky

Hi Squeaky,

thankyou, that’s useful to know if the time comes.

it doesn’t sound as if creons would help particularly just yet, I would hope the oncologist would know if he needed them. 

mm