Time scales?

• 1 reply
  • 33 subscribers

Hi everyone, 

Am still waiting for diagnosis (I won't get one until after hysterectomy) but wondered what timescales people are experiencing.

Am 43 and premenopausal, saw GP in June with very heavy periods and some bleeding between periods, previously regular periods had become irregular, I expected to be told I was perimenopausal. Sent for ultrasound within 2 weeks which showed fibroids and a larger than normal but simple looking ovarian cyst, which was to be reviewed in 3 months, was referred to Gynaecology as Dr didn't know how to treat my very heavy periods as had hormone receptive breast cancer in the past. Saw consultant start of September, he was unconcerned but ordered blood tests, hysteroscopy and 3 month rescan. 

Blood tests came back with 'very slightly raised ca125', I don't know the number and got letter to go for ct scan within about a week, ct scan was just a few days later. Hysteroscopy was fine. 

Had call Monday 14th advising I'd been referred to gynae oncology as ct scan showed 4.7cm lesion on left side of womb (assuming but not sure this is the previous 'simple' cyst), and that they didn't know if benign or malignant. I'd be having a full hysterectomy and would be sent appointment to see oncologist.

Appointment arrived today for 20th November, and a 2nd letter with appointment for nurse led pre assessment (pre-op?) for 22nd.

Concerned if it is something nasty I first saw GP in June, and now will be 5 months down the line, with surgery date still tbc. 

What sort of timescales did you all experience?

Thanks

• Hi ccla81

I think timescales do vary from health board to health board and country to country for example in England Wales Scotland etc. It does seem that initially that having your ultrasound within 2 weeks etc was good to see what’s going on and then further review and now another consultation, this is good as the initial things done didn’t concern anyone but with ongoing checks there now looking further into things x I know I ignored a lot of what was happening to me ( hindsight is a wonderful thing loll) and didn’t even visit my doctor for months and months! Hopefully for you nothing too much was happening and now maybe somethings going on? Just a theory as I’m no expert loll x hopefully you’ll have all the answers soon x