Duodenal Cancer Treatment- treat it as gastric or colorectal cancer?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 6 subscribers

I posted the following in the stomach and bowel cancer forums, but decided to post it here as there is such little information on this cancer due to its rarity.

My father has recently undergone a Whipple procedure for a locally advanced duodenal primary adenocarcinoma.  He is still in hospital in Heidelber following some post operative complications but the doctors there are pretty confident he will make a full recovery.

I was told by the oncologists in Heidelberg that because this is such a rare form of cancer and there is no set method for treatment, they would recommend treatment according to theMacDonald Scheme which involves chemoradiotherapy  using the agents 5 FU and leocovorin.  Apparently this is the scheme used for stomach cancers as the duodenal tissue type is identical to the stomach tissue type.

When I did an internet search on this, I found that these drugs are used mainly for colorectal cancers, so I am now a bit confused.

Has anyone had any experience with this scheme and whether they had it for duodenal cancer?

Also, has anyone had experience with the Royal Marsden in London if we decide to have our treatment there?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

My mother has adenocarcinoma which attacked her bladder. So it's weird because everyone thinks it's bladder cancer but I guess it's not... it's adenocarinoma. They tried surgery but when they went in, they said her entire bladder including surrounding areas was a 'brick' of cancer. So they couldn't take it out. She then started chemo, she had a total of 4 treatments. She couldn't handle that and ended up quitting. She was very, very sick and very close to death. The Dr's sent her home with hospice die with most research saying that she had less than 6 months to live.

She started eating healthier than she ever did before, taking nano-silver, eating cancer-fighting foods and she has progessivly gotten better. That was 11 months ago. I guess her kidneys are so bad that she would not survive one of the 'dye' tests which would show if the cancer is going away or not. So everyone is just guessing.

I'm trying to find someone else living with a nyphrostomy tube. We are having lots of issies with that. Sorry I'm not able to help you with your questions, but my mom does have this adenocarcinoma... the same as your father. How is he doing now? Did he go through the treatment?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hu KF2010, I am recovering from locally advanced duodenal primary adenocarcinoma. my surgeon stated that the cancer cells were close to the borders of other organs but had not crossed over into other organs,however, he recommended that I see an oncologist, I duly attended the appointment and was asked to have a scan as a baseline, no further treatment  and another scan at the 12 month stage when he will compare the 2 scans  and decide if I need any further treatment according to the results.

The oncologist explained that it is a very rare cancer and as the treatment is performed by the pancreatic team, there is very little information as a 'stand alone condition'  and there is no group on here for us,I had to hunt through every group and found you in 'Other'

I am 60 mumble!!! I suddenly began vomiting after every meal last april, I was stuck abroad and was misdiagnosed as having a fungal infection in my diatry tract and  after months of treatment for that and only being able to take liquid I came home to Yorkshire, within days of visiting my GP i was whisked away to hospital I was intravenously  fed for 3weeks, diagnosed on 17th Jan operated on at St James in Leeds  on the 21st jan, and was allowed home on 28th Jan.I am well, I have put weight on I feel really well and am regaining muscle and strength day by day I have to take creon before every meal as my pancreas was disturbed in the op but that is small price to pay. 

Give my very best wishes to your Father and tell him there are 2 of us with this rare condition because we are special