MDS & MPN Overlap

• 1 reply
  • 24 subscribers

My youngest son who lives in Canada with his wife and two young children was diagnosed just before Christmas with MDS & MPN Overlap.

I know it’s early days. I’ve been trying to find out more about these two rare blood cancers but it’s difficult. It seems that the average age of onset is 71 yrs.  He is 41. During the dreadful tests/diagnosis week before Christmas there was mention of possible Interferon treatment. And possible stem cell transplant depending on how things might progress. Transition to Leukaemia is a possibility apparently.  

It feels like such an alien world - blood cancer. My partner and I have each had cancer in the past so understand the fear and shock. But this feels even more dreadful. 

Im not sure what Im hoping for here. I wonder if anyone else has come across this rare overlap of two cancers? Most of the information I’ve gleaned is US based, especially from the annual ASH conferences. 
thanks. 

• Hi again  and good to see you have navigated across to this group. Lets look for anyone with first hand experience to pick up on your post.

I see that you have not actually 'joined' the group. Joining the group helps you get better connected as you can set you preferences to receive any posts put up in the group and you also you will receive email notifications if someone puts up an answer to your posts.

A lot of members have found the MPN Voice.Org website helpful.

Always around to help out or chat.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge