Empty Bone Marrow

• 6 replies
  • 25 subscribers

My husband has MDS EB. One round of azacitidine destroyed his ability to produce red, white, platelets. His white count is still too low to proceed with cycle 2. His Consultant took a marrow sample and today told my husband that his marrow is empty. I looked this up and it is a term that refers to his former condition, aplastic anaemia. Has anyone come across this? Communication with the doctors in this hospital is impossible and Google isn't helping this time. He is being prescribed a drug to boost the white count, apparently. 

• Hi again , sorry to hear the challenges continue. As you know I have a different incurable blood cancer (CTCL) but I have been in this exact position although the treatments used were designed to actually empty my bone marrow Smirk

This was part of my Stem Cell Transplant and the aim was for the new donor Stem Cells to grow my new bone marrow. It worked quickly the first time but that eventually failed so 16 months later we had a second (finial) go……. It took a good 4 months for my bone marrow to ‘wake up’ and produce sufficient cells to take me out of the danger zone. I was also on daily injections designed to help this along,

I do hope to hear from you saying things are improve ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Very many thanks- I am lucky to have such a helpful community here. I have discovered he has not been prescribed that drug after all. But his neutrophils are 1.6 today so hopefully an upward trend will continue. We are doing this alone, it feels, so thank goodness for the people on here.

• Oh this is actually very good news. A Neutrophil count of 1.6 without any help is very encouraging indeed. The body has a remarkable way of recovering.

Normal range is 2.0 to about 8.00 so going in the best direction.

Akways around to help out as best as I can.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Sadly, he was given the wrong information. It is .15. We go again tomorrow. Very many thanks for your support.

• Actually .15 is far better then a big fat 0

Lets see what tomorrow says ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• True. Have a great week.