Polar R Chop

• 4 replies
  • 39 subscribers

Hi , 

I’m new to this . 
my husband has Diffuse B Cell NHL high grade . 
anyone else had the polar R chop ? 
we have been told this has only been out 18 months ? 
he is four cycles down , experiencing pain in groin and tummy sometimes . 
wondering if chemo effects ? The pain worries him more than anything , thinking it’s not the chemo but the lymphoma 

Thank you 

• Hi    and a warm welcome to this corner of the Community although I am sorry to see you joining us and to hear about your husband. I am Mike and I help out around our various Lymphoma groups. 

I don’t have DLBCL but for some context I was diagnosed way back in 1999 at 43 with a rare (8 in a million) incurable but treatable type of Cutaneous T-Cell NHL (a type of slow growing Low-grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma) ……. eventually reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 when a second, also rare (4 in a million) type of aggressive Peripheral T-Cell - Not Otherwise Specified NHL (a type of fast growing High-grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma) was then presenting so although my Lymphoma ‘type’ is different I most definitely appreciate the challenges of this journey rather well.

Pola R-chop is being used a lot now to treat various types of NHLs and there have been a few folks pass through the group who have had it so let’s see if they pick up on your post…… but this treatment is proving to be a good treatment.

I had 6 cycles of R-EPOCH in late 2013 to early 2014 and this treatment was very similar with most of the same drugs being used.

Aches and pains can happen during treatment especially in the areas where the Lymphoma is presenting…… My story is rather complicated See my story as I had to go onto have significant treatments but when I had my main chemo I had significant pain in my neck where my brick sized mass was. This was down to the mass surrounding nerves and muscles….. the pain was bad before I started treatment but the pain went if the scale once the mass started to melt away….. as the nerves and muscles were stretching developing massive pain.

I also developed Helicobacter Pylori during my main chemo and that was a painful few weeks.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you so much for taking the time to reply . You have had quite a journey . 
    wish you well . 
    it’s a rollercoaster isn’t it , some highs , some lows . 
    so much second guessing and tricky to get yr mindset in a good place . 
    thank you again . 

• Hi again  

You may want to also check out Lymphoma Action. Lymphoma Action is the main UK Lymphoma Specific Charity who have lots of good reliable information, videos..... basically all things Lymphoma....... pre, during and post treatment.

They run various Support Platforms I highly recommend these groups as this will widen your support base and there is nothing better than ‘talking’ with others who have walked or are walking the same journey especially in there groups specifically fir caregiver's.

They also have a great Buddy Service where people can be linked up with someone who has walked the same treatment journey both as patient and caregiver.

The LA helpline is open every week day from 10 till 3 on 0808 808 5555. This is a safe place to talk things through and get support.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi, I have the same type lymphoma but in my breast. It's stage 1 I am about to have chemo (R-chop) in a few days. Consultant wanted me to have 6 circles. I am terrifying to have chemo. May I ask has your husband suffered hair loss? 

All the best to your husband.