Non Hodgkin lymphoma

• 3 replies
  • 38 subscribers

I was diagnosed with High grade B-cell NHI, in January, after having 6 rounds of chemo, it hasn’t helped. Because of my age, I’m 80, they don’t recommend anymore chemo. Where do I go from here ?

• Hi  and a warm welcome to this corner of the Community although I am sorry to see you joining us and to hear about how your treatment has went. I am Mike and I help out around our various Lymphoma groups. 

I don’t have DLBCL but for some context I was diagnosed way back in 1999 at 43 with a rare (8 in a million) incurable but treatable type of Cutaneous T-Cell NHL (a type of slow growing Low-grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma) ……. eventually reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 when a second, also rare (4 in a million) type of aggressive Peripheral T-Cell - Not Otherwise Specified NHL (a type of fast growing High-grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma) was then presenting.

Due to the quick growing nature of DLBCL the main treatment tool is chemo but sorry to hear that your chemo has not done the job. My High-Grade was stopped using 2 Allo (donour) Stem Cell Transplants....... but this involves very high dose chemo.

Unfortunately your age may well be a factor but you may want to call the Lymphoma Action helpline on 0808 808 5555 open every week day from 10 till 3. This is a safe place to talk this through and get support from the main Lymphoma Charity in the UK.

You can also check their Lymphoma TrialsLink.

Always around to chat.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you, I will make a note of the number.

• Sorry to hear this. If therapy was not effective, I would first question the pathology which produced the diagnosis. I know of four cancer patients who expired after receiving an incorrect diagnosis and being treated for the wrong cancer. By the time the error was rectified, they could not be saved. Secondly, I would inquire into clinical trials (they have both inclusion and exclusion factors) as they often are biological drugs rather than standard chemo therapy. As such, they can be both more effective as well as less toxic.

One cancer (PTCL-NOS) 3 times. Two other cancers: Angioimmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma 2 times, and 20q deletion MyeloDysplastic Syndrome) were chemo refractory. All three cancers simultaneously in 2015. Stage IV twice + MDS @ 23% of marrow. 12/22 diagnosed with Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Thus far, 14+ years, 20 drugs, 4 clinical trials, Total Body Irradiation, 1,000+ years of background radiation from scans. 7th remission so far. Haploidentical stem cell transplant, acute > chronic Graft-versus-Host-disease. Currently receiving my 7th GvHD regimen.