b cell lymphoma

• 19 replies
  • 33 subscribers

hi partner was originally diagnosed with lung cancer large in his right liung and 2.2 cm in left lung had biopsys fluid removed and ct scans mri pet scan , yesterday he went for more water removed around his right lung 1.5lyrs and they said they think je has lymphoma now not primary lung cancer i spoke to hos cancer team this mornong and they said they meed to do 2 bigger biopsys to see if it is b cell lymphoma he has alarge mass in his right lung if it is bcell they will move him over to haematology team any one have any info on any of this or been through it at this stage he will need water removed from around right lung every few weeks till treatment starts any advice would be gratefully appreciated

• Hi again  and well done navigating across to this corner of the community..... you and your partner are definitely having the run around........ unfortunately this often happens with Lymphoma as it does often present as other types of cancers and it's only once biopsy results are in that it's found to be Lymphoma...... then even then more biopsies and test need to be done to get all the information.

I will put up a more detailed reply on this post rather than on the one you have put up in the DLBCL group..... the reason for this is your partner is having more biopsies and this suggests that they are not sure as to what of the 60 types and sub-types of Lymphoma he has........ even if has a type of B-Cell NHL as has been mentioned....... there a a number of different types so more investigations need to be done.

If it is Lymphoma then most likely he will require chemotherapy as on the whole Lymphoma can't be 'cut out' as Lymphoma is basically a cancer of the blood and Lymphatic-System.

Hematologists are the experts in all things blood cancers like Lymphoma so this link Questions to ask your medical team about Lymphoma will help you get your head round the questions you need ask and when to ask them.

This is still early days and the Diagnosis of Lymphoma may take some time....... but I have been on my Lymphoma journey for over 24 years when I was diagnosed at 44 but I am still here today talking with you..... and that is with my type of Lymphoma reaching stage 4 in late 2013....... Lymphoma is so different the staging is completely different from other cancers.

Any question you have just ask them and we will do our best to help out ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• ty once again for your reply u have made more sense to me than 10 consultants in the last few weeks i really appreciate your advice and your reply u are an angel xx

• can i ask u he has a large mass growing in his right lung they havemt said a size and a2.2cm one in his left lung this is what they are saying is bcell lymphoma how can it grow so big does that mean its lile a lump of blood im really confused myself and your very knowledgeable so thought i would ask thanku x

• Sorry for not getting back to quicker but Tesco just arrived at the door Wink

Lymphoma is very confusing and completely different from solid tumour cancers like Lung Cancer......  Lymphoma is the fifth most common type of cancer in the UK but most people know nothing about it.

All the links I put on my posts are taken from the Lymphoma Action website. Lymphoma Action is the only UK Lymphoma Specific Charity who have lots of good reliable information, videos..... basically all things Lymphoma....... pre, during and post treatment........ don't do random google searches - stick to Lymphoma Action and you won't get confused......and end up stressing yourself.

But this im my simple guide to Lymphoma.....

The body is made up of cells (in the Bone Marrow) that need to be replaced as they age or are damaged. This happens through cell division, which is when a cell divides and makes new copies of itself. Normally, cell division is carefully controlled. But sometimes this process can get out of control. Too many cells may be made and a cancer, such as Lymphoma, can develop.

In Lymphoma, our White Blood Cells called Lymphocytes become abnormal, these are the Lymphoma cells. Usually the body’s immune system destroys abnormal cells. But Lymphoma cells are often able to avoid the immune system. This means they can keep dividing and grow out of control. Over time, where there are enough Lymphoma cells they get together and have a party and form a lump/tumour.

The most common place for this to happen is in the lymph nodes but basically Lymphoma can show up anywhere...... I have a rare 7 in a Million people Skin Lymphoma so my 'lumps' were growing 'on' my skin, in my neck (the size of a brick) and in my Bone Marrow.

Lymphocytes can travel around the body. This means that Lymphoma can spread from where it first started (Bone Marrow) then can spread through the Lymphatic-System from lymph nodes in one part of the body to lymph nodes elsewhere. Lymphoma cells can also travel in the bloodstream to organs such as the bone marrow, liver, lungs and skin. The cells may then keep dividing to form a new area of Lymphoma......a thus can go on and on…..

These lumps/tumours are not solid but a collection of cells and the treatments used to treat Lymphoma breaks up the party and our body deals with the cells by basically peeing them out!!!!!!!

Keep you questions coming ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• loved the reply made complete sense having a party thwn get peed sown the loo love how u wxplain things made me smile firat time in weeks x

• ....... you will see that I like a Nelson Mandela quote...... as in “It always seems impossible until it's done"..... but I like this one more “I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it."

My story is rather complicated See my story as I had to go through lots of treatment over my 24 years......... but I am coming up to 8 years out from my last treatment and I am turning 68 in Nov and doing great ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• wow thats amazing i will read your story now x

• Just make a strong cup if coffee Wink

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

1. omg i have just read this what a journey, i got to the part about your skin and my partner has for the last 8 months had itchy skin his legs to the knews is all scqly and scab on lower bqck ribs chest bum arms im wonder could this be part of his cancer i read somewhere iitchy skin can be a sign of cancer im sure we will know more in the coming months and hopefully years like yourself what an amzing story and here u are xx
  • Yes itching skin is indeed one of the symptoms of some types of Lymphoma….. although my rash developed very quickly and moved beyond itching skin to raised patches…… but my story helps you both understand that regardless how challenging the journey can get it can still be done ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge