Tingling and numbness in feet

• 2 replies
  • 34 subscribers

Hello everyone 

just had my second R CHOP and, apart from many of the usual side effects , I have suffered from a tingling in the lower legs  I know that this is one of the known effects but following this treatment the feet feel more numb than previously  I am walking and working slowly most days  Has anyone had long lasting problems with this?

best to all

Roy P  

• Hi Roy and a warm welcome to this corner of the Community although I am always sorry to see folks joining us. I am Mike and I help out around our various Lymphoma groups.

I was diagnosed back in 1999 with a rare, incurable type of NHL Stage 4a so although my Lymphoma  ‘type’ may be different I appreciate the challenges of this journey well.

Most people will experience some problems with peripheral neuropathy during these treatments. I had the big brother treatment R-EPOCH and had very bad PN in my hands so I was using 2 stress balls to work the nerves in my hands and get the blood flowing.

My feet and legs were fine but from the very start I was doing about 1-2 miles every day walking the hospital corridors with my two chemo pumps during the 6 cycles of 6 days/5 nights I was in hospital having my 120 hrs chemo 24/7.

I talked with my community team about how to improve my PN and they said that they could reduce the strength of one of the drugs (can’t remember wich one) but as my treatment was being used to get me into a window to have Stem Cell Transplant (SCT) we agreed it was best to suffer the PN rather than risk the effectiveness of the treatment and in return my chances of SCT.

Worth taking with your team about way to help this.

PN tends to clear up once you have completed treatment and the toxicity is out if your body but my PN took a lot longer.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• My toes and front part of my feet are still numb after chemo in 2018. They did offer to reduce one of the drugs but I declined because I wanted the full force of the chemo but as Mike says that is an option. My fingertips have improved more than my feet, although they too feel slightly odd.