Hello; first post

• 4 replies
  • 34 subscribers

Hello all, I am just about to have my second R-Chop Chemo session to treat High-Grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma and after the first session I am apprehensive about the sickness and feelings of isolation and dislocation if this is the same as the first time.

The staff and NHS folks have been great, my family and friends are super supportive but I have never been ill previously and if I take time to think about the wider impact i find overwhelming, so I focus on the next day, the net step and the practical stuff I can impact. I also find I get really angry about stupid unimportant nonsense which I have never done before... 

Overall I am very lucky compared to many, the disease was diagnosed early and prognostics is great ...  but it is still CANCER !!

More to come ..

The Speysider

• Hi  and welcome to this corner of the Community although always sorry to see folks joining us. I am Mike  and I help out around our blood cancer groups.

I was diagnosed way back in 1999 with a rare incurable but treatable low grade skin NHL Stage 4a and although my Lymphoma ‘type’ is different I have experienced most types of treatments used but not necessarily the exact same drug mix but understand this journey rather well unfortunately.

Speysider!! living in Spayside or from Spayside?....... I am in Inverness.

You will see from my profile (hit ) my journey is very different but that is the joy of having one of the rare types of NHL. You say High Grade NHL.......what exact type?

There are many tools that can help with Nausea, one med one week may not be effective the next so remember not to suffer in silence when it comes to nausea there are lots of tools available - but your team need to know how you are getting on.

Dislocation is an interesting word to use and I can understand this especially during these very strange times. A total breakdown of our 'normal' is hard to deal with initially, but as you say "I focus on the next day, the net step and the practical stuff I can impact" is a very good foundation to build from.

My journey is rather long so I have developed an acceptable 'agreement' with my unwanted squatter that I live with...... but the most important thing is - I define my life and how I live (within all the medical and now cover challenges)....... not my cancer defining me.

Getting a cancer diagnosis initially is like a rabbit caught in headlights moment. The mind goes into overdrive and often goes down the rabbit trail of the future or lack of a future. But I have to say that I talk with many many people on here and another few platforms and one folks get out of the headlights they start to see a way forward that is much more positive then that early diagnosis days.

So the group is here to help you out, to vent in or just to chat.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hello Highlander, Thanks for the reply ... from Speyside, family in Forres ..  .. now living in Kent.

Nausea has been on of my biggest problems plus I wasn't eating, so being sick but with nothing to be sick on ??  I spoke to my nurse and she said to take the stomach drugs more regularly, so I will do so in the next few days. 

I can see me allowing the disease to define me already, so your comment on that is helpful and something I will bear in mind.

Hopefully my journey is relatively short to clearing the initial blockage, but then I have to get back to being in control.

Iain The Speysider

• Hi Iain, the nausea and not eating is a vicious circle. I was ok during my main chemo but had big problems following my second Stem Cell Transplant.

Being very regular with stomach drugs is important as the effects are accumulative.

Even 6 years out from my last treatment I am still on Lansoprazole am/pm due to my Hiatus Hernia, a leftover from being violently sick during transplant. I take these religiously 2hrs before any breakfast with a pint of water and at bedtime 2hrs after any food again with a pint of water….. works for me. 

It is important to aim for a minimum of 2 litres of water each and every day (still do this) as this is the main way you protect your kidneys as this will flush out the toxins released by the chemo and give you exercise going the the toilet lots Wink

Eating can be a challenge during treatment, I found little and often worked. Never did sit with a plate of food. So had little regular snacks, a lot of cups of good homemade liquidised soups, small amount of mash and mince, scrambled eggs……  never anything that needed me to work at eating - mindless at times.

Win the battle between the ears and you are doing your part the rest is up to your clinical team.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• If you're no better this time, let them know and they will probably eventually give you the big guns of antisickness medication. I got something stronger for my third chemo which didn't completely work but made it more tolerable. As for cancer defining you I wouldn't worry about that just now. When chemo ends you'll be able to get back to normal, and that really isn't far away.