Burkitt 'like' lymphoma diagnosis

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 43 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hi everyone,

I wanted to share my experience to see if anyone has been though similar.

Last February over the space of a couple of weeks I noticed my stomach began to become distended. I went to the docs and was referred to hospital who xrayd me and said I was constipated so prescribed some laxative and discharged.  After a couple more days I was much more distended and uncomfortable so went back tongue docs who immediately sent me to hospital.  This time after a CT scan the doctor came to my room where myself and wife were waiting and told be I had cancer. They thought it had begun in the bowel and then spread to my stomach. As you can imagine this came as a complete shock as up to this point I had been a healthy and active 44 year old man.

After being given the news I was moved to the oncology ward where the consultant came to see me and went to great lengths explaining what I had.. Essentially it was like having a carrier bag with lots of sausages in and sprinkled porridge oats in and given it a shake up. In other words it was everywhere and any treatment I would receive would be palliative. On being given that news I was let home for the weekend to come back on the Monday for a biopsy.  That weekend was terrible, I'm not sure how we got through it but we did probably the distraction of my 4 year old daughter.

Anyway, I had the biopsy done then spent the next fortnight doing wills and planning as best we could for my wife and daughter.

Then, out of the blue, I had a phone call from the oncology consultant telling me what they thought I had was wrong and one of her colleagues would call me. Literally 2 minutes later my 'new' consultant said right, we known what this is and we can treat you so pack a back and get here now, so that what I did. That evening I met my consultant who explained that I actually had lymphoma and they would start with the treatment the following day. 

As we were about to start I had a stomach drain fitted and over 2 days 12.5 litres of ascites was drained off then we started. I had B symptoms (sweats, fluid, weight loss) and was classed as stage 4.

I began the RcodoxM and RIvac regimes which pretty much of me in hospital for 4 months. The mid way scan was 'dramatic and astonishing' as the lymphoma had pretty much already cleared however my consultant and I agreed to continue with the last 2 cycles. My scan after the treatment showed me to be in complete remission and that's where I am today.

I am still undergoing checkups every 8 weeks however after the next in June they will goto 12 weeks! There was always some ambiguity about my diagnosis as they couldn't fully agree whether it was pure Burkitt or Burkitt 'like' as I didn't have the myc gene mutation. My consultant did tell me we can either treat your for DLBCL with Rchop as a day patient but recommend a belts and braces with the full RcodoxM and Rivac.

Generally in myself I am well and don't appear to have had any to long lasting side effects of the treatment with the exception of what I think to be IBS. Because the lymphoma was centred around my bowel and stomach I do find it to be far more sensitive and tender than before and quite often have a low level nagging pain which I'm trying to control.

Has anyone else undergone similar treatment and been left with IBS like symptoms? 

I'm back to walking, cycling and generally living life like 'I nicked it' but would appreciate to hear if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Thanks.

John

• Hi and warm welcome to you as well.

The Online Community is a great place to support each other on our cancer journeys, we are not experts, but at the same time are reluctant experts due to the need for information and ways to get to the end of this rollercoaster. 

I have to say the family in our lives are the unsung heroes. In reality we just have to get on with treatment but wives, partners and family are holding the worry and can't do much with it. 

My journey with my rare type of T-cell Lymphoma has been very long so over the years we, my wife and I have accused support form Macmillan Centres, our local Maggie's Centre and various other support networks. Getting some back up helps lighten the load.

Always around to help out.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Alfe and oxfordbloke,

'Welcome' to you both. I too underwent the full Burkitt lymphoma treatment so fully appreciate it can be tough going but hey it's worth it.

I've recently hit 1 year complete remission from Burkitt which at one point I thought doubtful so I am very appreciative of the NHS and the treatment received.  I've just mountain biking in Dumfries and cycled 2 of the 7 stanes which was looking very doubtful a year ago. I commented to my wife that this time last year I couldn't fight my way out of a paper bag yet now have just cycled up a mountain!

My IBS has settled down mostly now but my consilcons got me a CT scan which was clear and have a colonoscopy next month but it's a small price to pay.

We have a big family bash booked for tomorrow which is our 1st anniversary of being married so looking forward to that.

If I can help share my experiences or if you have any questions please fire away.

All the best guys.

John

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Well my hair has gone and it was a bit sudden,but a good clipper session has left me looking a bit neater,went in for my second session of chemotherapy yesterday , and managed to be fitted with the portable system ,came home again it holds 48 hours worth of the chemotherapy mixture,so back tomorrow for a refill them return on Sunday to be disconnected. I will have to stay in for 24 hours for a treatment that the portable system can't deliver ,

if this works out ok , all further treatment will be done on this basis ,I am sat on the sofa after having a decent lunch watching the tv, it's a better environment to say the least!

• FormerMember

Hi,

Mum is currently being treated for BL too R chop round 6 I hope all is ok with you guys and wish you all the best for the future. 

X

• FormerMember

Afternoon all,

Oxfordbloke, I din't have much to start with tbh and have been a grade 0 since early 20's so no biggie.  Did find the loss of eye brows and lashes a bit harder but its all in a good cause.  So if you are being treated at home what regime are you on, RCHOP or the RCODOX/RIVAC?  I hear what your saying about being at home, I bet it makes a huge difference.  Hospital food isn't appealing at the best of times never mind when being treated.

I found my rest periods at home between treatments a real tonic and helps charge your batteries and soul for the next round.

All the best.

John

• FormerMember

I still have eyebrows!  my chemotherapy  treatment is da-epoch-r coupled with the normal daily cocktail of 9 different medications ,,like many of us the main side effects are managed by the medications ,it's the other ones that get a bit annoying,total lack of sleep for a number of nights during the cycle ,and for me the constant need to pee,all linked to the high dose of steriods as far as I can understand,but the sun is shining so it's a good day

• Good morning all.

Oxfordbloke, I had R-EPOCH leading up to my first Stem Cell Transplant (SCT) and lost the lot..... EVERY hair on my body ;)

My last chemo was October 2015 getting me ready for my second SCT so again it all went like snow on a warm day....... fast forward to this rather great summer we have had up in the Highlands and basically have had shorts on for 4 moths and my wife and her women friends keep complaining that I have smooth legs as the hair on my legs has not come back ;) so I get my wife friends randomly discussing my legs and coming over to check them out :) :) :) .........and yes, if peeing was an International sport Scotland would have someone high up the table...... there are some funny sides to this journey.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Well I have had some positive news this week, I had a pet scan prior to starting cycle 4 rather than after it ,and I was told that there is no sign of lymphoma any were in my body ,and on Friday i haRelaxede the last of the chemotherapy injections in my spine, still have 2 more cycles of chemotherapy to do, I wonder what new side effects i can get ,it's evening hiccups at the momentRelaxed

• Well this is a high 5 moment, great news and just what you want to hear.

The hiccups is so weird....... I never have them but my team gave me a Blue pill and it fixed it...... was it a sweet, who knows ;)

All the best for the rest and keep coming back to tell everyone your news as at times some people do need to hear positive stories.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember

Hi,

Wow that is absolutely amazing I am so happy for you and your family well done you! My mum has just had round 7 of the high dose methotrexate seems to have hit her hard this time. The consultant has said it’s not worth giving her the last dose of this particular chemo because it makes her too ill. I am hoping the caught her on a bad day and will reconsider. Seems a bit silly to not give her the final dose but they know best I guess. Its so nice to see updates like this though you have done amazingly well.

Best wishes

Leah