Hello everyone

• 3 replies
  • 66 subscribers

Hi folks, I'm Cymon and new to the group. I had a small spot appear on my forearm about 8 months ago, this grew to a what looked like a blood blister, it would bleed occasionally and turned ugly in January. It wasn't going away so I went to the doctor, they referred me and it was surgically removed. The biopsy came back as an aggressive Melonoma 5mm deep, I was staged as 2b and scheduled for a WLE SNLB procedure. In the meantime I had a full body and head CT scan. My WLE SNLB was cancelled and I was contacted by a Macmillan nurse concerned for my welfare, she is my CNS team contact if I need anything, grants, benefits, support etc She told me I have an appointment with a consultant this Friday 19th April, to discuss a "few things" that have shown up on the CT scan. I can't find out any more information, my Macmillan nurse refers me to the consultants secretary when I ask what's wrong.. I'm really worried about this Friday, I don't know what to expect. Anyone had a similar experience?  Thank you, Cymon.

• Hi, 

I am really sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I know how difficult it is trying to come to terms with the news.

Although not exactly the same as your situation, my husband had a mole removed in February and it came back as stage 2b melanoma 4.1mm thick. 

He had a CT body scan in March and received a phonecall to come in to see the consultant the next day to discuss his scan results.

He was told at the meeting that the scan had detected 4 small nodules on his lung and 2 on his liver.  They are too small to biopsy but he is high risk for the melanoma spreading due to the thickness of the melanoma. He is now "possibly stage 4"

He is now waiting to be rescanned in 3 months time to see if the nodules grow before starting any possible treatment. Although we have requested a PET scan to see if this could push things forward.

He is still scheduled in for his WLE next Monday but they will now not perform the SLNB.

The waiting is the hardest part. 

• Hi Cymon,

I was diagnosed with stage 3B melanoma back in February 

I had a mole removed from my upper back / shoulder and had a full body and head CT scan followed by my WLE

When my oncology consultant told me the results, I was told that they had also found a suspected cyst in my brain and a growth at my pelvis. They didn’t think they were related to the melanoma, but I needed an MRI scan on my brain and ultrasound on my pelvis. As you can imagine I was shocked, but I’ve now had these and neither are deemed suspicious and they don’t require any further action unless they start to cause me problems.

I didn’t realise prior to having the full body and head CT scan that it can be quite common for other things to show up in the scan, totally unrelated to the issue they are scanning you for and in most cases don’t cause any problems.

I know it’s really difficult and really stressful waiting and worrying, but try not to assume the worst. I also suffer from anxiety, so I can completely relate to fixating and worrying. It’s the unknown that adds significantly to the fear, but please try and stay positive.

Please let me know how you get on.

I wish you well Cymon and will keep you in my thoughts x

• Hello Cynon,

I didn’t have a primary, by the time I was ill I had stage 4 but I’m so grateful I could get treatment. My scans showed a nodule on my lung which they couldn’t tell on first scan if it was related to the melanoma. I had a fractured sternum which wasn’t healing properly and meant my scan wasn’t as clear as it could be. I had to wait until my next 3 month scan for a clear result. 
    I was relieved to be told it’s not related to my melanoma but the 3 month wait was difficult, trying to focus on real life was a task and a half.

I sincerely hope it is good news for you on Friday. Take care xx