New Diagnosis

• 6 replies
  • 67 subscribers

Hi everyone I'm new to the group.  Was diagnosed with 2c melanoma on 29th November.  I have an appointment with plastic surgeon to discuss wle.  It's just been put back another week.  I'm struggling with the waiting as it Is.  Is it usual (Scotland) to be put back?

• Hi that's a long time to wait I had my surgery within 6 weeks of diagnosis mine started of a stage 2. Have you got to have a slnb to check lymph nodes. Try not to worry to much there is a lot of treatment for it. My lymph nodes were positive so mine is now stage 3a but they got it all with the surgery. I'm having medication to stop it coming back. 

• Hi Maxiplum, delays unfortunately seem to be common place at the minute. I waited 5 weeks for original results instead of 2 and was told that wide excision would be done middle of January but am now booked in for 15th February and am crossing my fingers that it isn’t cancelled. I’m stage 1b. I know the anxiety of waiting is hard, believe me my anxiety has gone through the roof some days, but I genuinely believe the medical staff are doing their best. They’ve been so good to me since i was first seen. Do you have a skin cancer nurse you can talk to? 

• No nurse allocated. I've since managed to get my appointment brought forward.  It's the waiting that's hard.  Good luck on 15th.

• Fingers crossed for you.  My GPs didn't refer me for a year. Despite me constantly telling them it was growing.  I'm a bit angry still.

• It seems to be so variable and geographic. I found a  further lesion a few weeks ago , GP, hospital photographs, hospital consultation, punch biopsy 3 days ago and each and every appointment was no more than 6 days apart..Biopsy result will be 6-8 weeks however.

• Hi I was lucky then my gp refered me straight away and saw dermatologist the following week then biopsy the week after that. Hope your goes okay.