Metastatic Melanoma

• 8 replies
  • 65 subscribers

Hi I’m a 70 years young lady who has been diagnosed with metastatic melanoma a week ago after having a small lump removed from my calf. I’m not coping very well at the moment ups and downs, no sleep, no appetite and feel exhausted all the while. I have an appointment with dermatologist on Thursday so hopefully I will find out more. I’m just so scared at the moment, it’s seems to be on my mind constantly. Every ache or pain I have, my mind keeps telllng me, the cancer has started there. I try and keep busy, every time I get negative thoughts I try and hop on my exercise bike for 10 mins, I hope I’m not doing more damage by doing this. 

• Hi.

I'm not a clinician, however in my experience during treatment I found exercise to be extremely helpful from a mental health viewpoint. It took me away from all of the "what if" thoughts that seem to pop up from nowhere. 

I'm fitter now than any time since my early 20's (I'm 65) and feel that can only help in your body being energised to fight the cancer.

As I say, I have no.medical background to substantiate this, however it's worked for me

All the best, and keep pedalling!

• Thank you, I must admit it does help, thanks for replying it makes you feel you’re not in your own going through this. 

• Hi Moontash, I just wanted to check in on you to see how you were getting on? 

Have you started any treatment  yet? 

My Dad has had his second dose of ipi/nivo and is sur to see the oncologist on Tuesday.  

• Hi, glad your Dad is getting his treatment, please let me know how he gets on.  I’ve been all over the place since I last was on here. Had CT scan which was clear, then PET scan which was also clear. Waiting to have further surgery to sweep round original tumor site, but they are baffled as no hot spots at all on PET scan. I feel so relieved with  the scan results but I’m baffled as they are at what is going on. I feel really well in myself no loss of appetite still on my exercise bike every day. I’ll keep you informed after surgery. Xx

• Hi there, thanks for getting in touch I’m at the hospital this morning to have further surgery on my leg a sweep of the original tumor site. I’ve elected for local with no skin graft. Not looking forward to the vac drainage after but that’s only for 2 weeks, then it will be compression until it heals, because all my other scans came back clear, if the sweep comes back clear then I’ll be in no treatment but 3 and 6 monthly checks.

How is your Dad coping with the treatment he’s on?

I hope all goes well with your oncologist meeting. 
    Moontash

• That all sounds positive, I hope it comes back clear for you and hope it all goes well for you. My Dad just had his bloods done last week and they came back good so he has just had his 3rd dose of the ipi/nivo. He still has absolutely no energy, gets out of breath even going to the bathroom!

He had an appointment woth the oncologist and she is absolutely thrilled as the lump under his arm has shrunk. It was the size of a golf ball and now it is the size of a garden pea. She said that she would like to think that if it has worked there then it will hopefully be shrinking the 10cm mass in his tummy. I really do hope that it is. 

If all going well je will be due to ger the 4th dose and then he will be on the nivolumab for the next 2 years. 

Please do keep in touch and let me know w how you get on. Xx

• Hi, great news about shrinkage I’ll keep everything crossed for you re: your next hospital appointment.

it sounds like your Dad has got a great support system with his family, I have a daughter too and like you she had been beside her self with the worry of this, my husband has also been my rock.

The cancer treatment and care have been exceptional from my hospital especially my cancer nurse. I only went to see the skin graft consultant yesterday morning, and she said she could do it today.

Better get in the shower ready for the procedure. X

• Update - I had surgery on Thursday to remove 1cm around the original tumor site, I get the results in a couple of weeks. Hopefully it will be clear.  I had a fantastic surgeon who managed to close the wound, fingers crossed it will not break open.  I am currently on a drain vac system at home, I’m finding it very challenging, I was wondering if anyone else has had the drain vac and could give me any tips with this device, as looks like I might be on for a few months.