Older Newbie

• 5 replies
  • 76 subscribers

Hi, just checking in as an older newbie.:)

After excision of atypical mole on left lower side of my left leg mid-Sept was given diagnosis of melanoma stage 2A at follow up appt with Senior Nurse Practitioner, mid Oct. Next step is Wider Local Excision and Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy on 12th December, all under general anaesthetic, of course. Met the plastic surgeon whose care I will be under both for op and all follow ups. He was very jolly and positive about it all and I agreed to be part of a trial/study looking at any outcome difference between 10mm/20mm wider excisions. It will be randomly chosen by a computer but based on my diagnosis so won't know until post op which diameter excision I've had.

I work as a teacher in a pupil referral unit for primary aged students excluded from mainstream, so my work (and I am nearly 62!) can be very physical..As such with my surgeon's recommendation I will not expect to return to full duties for a good 4-weeks post op (2 of those falling nicely across Xmas and new year!)

Has anyone got any real time experience of recovery post Wider Excision with graft plus SLNB in groin/behind knee zone?

Thanks for listening Slight smile

• Hi

I am interested in any replies to your post as my partner is having a WLE on thigh and SLNB on groin next week and has been advised by nurse not to drive or return to work for 2 weeks. I am interested in the recovery time also 

thanks 

• Hi!  I will also be following this thread as I'm having the same procedure as you on my ankle on 19 December. I've been told nothing about recovery.  I work from home so that's easier but I would like to get an idea of what I should and should not be doing.

Good luck!

• Thank you Slight smile I think that recovery time will vary for each of us and is probably case to case but I reckon a good 2 weeks with as much rest as possible and some exercise is going to be minimum. 

• Hi

Hope all goes well with op for your partner and  recovery too! Slight smile

• Hi, 

I had a melanoma removed from my knee with the biopsy in my groin. Both healed fine initially and I was up and about doing normal things quite easily within a week. More physical activities probably took about 3-4 weeks. Although, everyone heals differently. 

I did end up having a bit of bad luck in the sense that my groin scar ended up having an infected seroma so that has set me back quite a bit but this is an unlikely complication for the vast majority of people. 

Best of luck to you all Fingers crossed