Immunotherapy and weight loss

• 4 replies
  • 74 subscribers

Hello all. My brother is currently battling stage 4 melanoma with bone mets. He has had small shrinkage and lots of weight loss. His oncologist said he cannot lose anymore weight, he needs to be a certain weight/bmi to continue immunotherapy, Does anybody else struggle with eating/weightless and have you successful overcome this? X

• Hi Jjab70, I am at stage 4 also, and on immunotherapy. I lost about 0.5 stone. My dietitian granddaughter told me to drink whole milk, eat plenty dairy and eat more red meat. My weight is now back to the old normal and I feel good. Hope this helps, and best wishes to your brother! 

• Hi Jjab70,

After the 3rd round of ipi-nivo my partner got pretty bad tummy problems with diahorrea and no appetite for weeks. He lost 10kg (76kg to 66kg). It was really scary. We spoke to a private dietitian who recommended the following:

• Little & often. Try eat 5-6 small meals a day
    • Liquid calories - smoothies with peanut butter & protein powder (he uses Huel unflavoured)
    • Manilife peanut butter on everything
    • No red meat - hard to digest, heavy on the stomach. Lean chicken/turkey only.
    • Bowl of full fat Greek yogurt/berries after dinner 
    • Improving gut health will allow the body to absorb nutrients better - introduce foods like kefir, kim chi, pomegranate seeds, kombucha. Also takes a probiotic with iron. 

He’s also been going to the gym doing resistance to build his muscle mass back. Has put on 7kg in about 6 weeks and has so much more energy. It’s a huge relief! Hope your brother can get through this tough time and continue with his treatment!

• Wow! This is so very helpful.  Thankyou so much for sharing  this with me. I really appreciate it and I will send him this. I'm so glad your partner is doing better.  I'm always happy to hear to positive! 

1. Thankyou, It doesn't  help that he has had a very severe throat infection for months , this is just adding to the misery of eating. He saw his oncologist on Friday though and he now has an urgent referral to ENT. I'm so.glad that you are doing well Smiley