Keytruda (pembrolizumab)

• 13 replies
  • 71 subscribers

My Father has just been diagnosed with Stage 3 melanoma and has had the primary lesion removed and 7 lymph nodes removed. He is being recommended Keytuda (pembrolizumab). We are worried about the side effects. If anyone would be willing to share their experience with this immunotherapy I would be very grateful. Thank you.

• Sorry to hear about your fathers diagnosis. I was on pembrolizumab myself and didnt tolerate it very well after only having 3 doses. I ended up with inflammation of the bowels and pancreas, leading to autoimmune pancreatitis. That then went on to cause type 1 diabetes. My advise would be try it anyway, you never know he might not have any side effects. Just keep the treatment team informed if he does start showing any symptoms so they can sort it out before it gets serious. I hope this helps and all the best to you and your family. 

• Hi Jazz5. I had my first keytruda treatment last week for stage 3b melanoma.  I too have read many online articles stating gut health is a good variable on responding to immunotherapy.  Have you or anyone heard whether drinking decaffeinated green tea negatively impacts your body's response? Thanks

• I have had eight rounds of Pembro, double dose. I have had quite a response to it. Had the itching and rash, was sorted with a course of steroids and I keep on top of it with creams now. Have had joint pain and fatigue throughout. Found this hard as I am such an active person. Still do what I can but have to listen to my body. Since the fifth round, I have experienced sickness/dizziness but it only lasts a day or so and passes as quick as it came. 
    Despite the side effects, I see this treatment as my insurance for the future so as hard as it’s been at times, I’m glad I’m having it.