Suspected melanoma on my scalp

• 3 replies
  • 74 subscribers

Hi everyone, my husband noticed a lesion on my scalp on Christmas day and I have just been referred under the 2 week wait rule for suspected melanoma. It is about 7mm, irregular and has a darker brown just off center. I got an appointment for the skin clinic straight away - within an hour of the referral being made, so I go to that on Thurs 5th January. What should I expect at this appointment? It says its a see and treat appointment so I might be getting a biopsy/removal on Thursday. I'm extremely worried as I am also a kidney transplant patient so wondering if that may limit what treatment I could have if I need it.

I had a BCC removed from my cheek early 2021.

• Hi,

I also had a lesion on my scalp which proved to be melanoma.

My initial meeting with a dermatologist involved a visual inspection and the taking of a punch biopsy.  At the time, the dermatologist thought it was BCC, but phoned me back a few days later with the melanoma diagnosis.  He arranged for the lesion to be excised a few days later.

It's great that you are being seen so quickly - my diagnosis was delayed due to Covid lockdown and I couldn't see a dermatologist for months after my wife noticed the lesion.  Who knows what the implication was of that delay....

Good luck for 5th and please update the forum with your progress.

All the best.

• Thank you for your reply. I will keep you updated. Nervous for tomorrow, hope at least get some sleep tonight 

• Hi, I  had my referral appt on 24th October, the nurse looked at what turned out to be a melanoma and took some general health info. She then called the doctor. Pictures were taken and I was told it would need to be removed. Was given an appt for 2 days later and it was removed. The removal was done under local anesthetic.  Hope this helps

Maybe take a notebook with you, I didn't and I think it would have been useful or if someone can attend with you even better.

It's hard not to worry I know, but good luck and keep us posted