Newbie & Confused

• 2 replies
  • 75 subscribers

Hi, so new to the group.  I'm confused ?  Following the result from my ultrasound scan and biopsy I was diagnosed yesterday with melanoma.  But I present with a large lump in my armpit which is a 6cm vascular lesion.  I don't understand how a melanoma can be a lump inside me ?  I though skin cancer was on the surface from a mole?  The consultant said cells were also in my lymph glands.

I am awaiting a CT scan ... 

Just a little lost and in limbo

Has anyone had this / have this and perhaps can walk me through this because googling is .... well its just not a bright idea to google this stuff right.

I'm a 49 year old man (if that is relevant )

Thanks for reading 

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that you've just been diagnosed with melanoma, and I can understand why you feel confused. You are right that normally a melanoma would be found on your skin but sometimes it is found in lymph nodes or body organs without being spotted on the skin first.

Mine wasn't exactly a classic melanoma as it didn't appear as a rogue mole but as a small pink lesion which turned out to be an amelanotic melanoma.

I've had a quick look in the group and I'm pretty sure that has also been diagnosed with melanoma that didn't appear first on the skin. I've 'tagged' them into my reply to you and hopefully they'll pop on and share their experiences with you.

While you're waiting for replies, it would be great if you could pop something about your diagnosis and proposed treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi MikeyL happy to chat I’m 10 months from diagnosis of non primary metastatic melanoma , I have had surgery and am now on one year adjuvant therapy , currently no evidence of disease on my September scans second round of scans since surgery In March . I don’t come on much but can do if you contact . Regards