Post excision biopsy, awaiting results

• 14 replies
  • 78 subscribers

Hi

Im Emily and Im a 30 year old mam to 3 girls

I had an excisional removal on Wednesday last week and begin the seemingly long wait for results.

I asked the consultant who performed the excision removal how I would receive the results, if they were good would these be given out by phone, he first said yes then said that even if they were good I might still be called in for the results face to face. 

Can anyone confirm this is the case?

County Durham trust

Emily x

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I had my excisional biopsy nearly 6 years ago now and I had an appointment made for my results to be given to me. At that stage the dermatologist didn't think there was any chance that my lump was a melanoma so yes, I would have had the results face-to-face whether they'd been good or bad.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi . Thank you for  coming back to me, I guess I thought that any good news would be better off being communicated via telephone, and was hoping it would give me a sooner inclination of the results :-(

• I'm not sure that you'd get the results any quicker over the phone as they still have to be given to you by the consultant. So if he has to book 10 minutes in his diary to phone you he can just as easily book 10 minutes in his diary to see you face-to-face.

I'll be keeping everything crossed for you 

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you Latchbrook

Will update :-)

• Hi Emily, I’ve only just joined this community. I just hope you’ve now got your results. I was given an appt for my results but told that I might get a call the previous week if all was ok! Not having a huge faith in clinicians remembering to phone, I left a message via her secretary as a reminder. Not long after that and because I had phoned, she made a judgement to call me to share the news that I was not really expecting in order to expedite the next phase. 

• Hi .

Unfortunately no results. I rang the consultants secretary on Wednesday (2 weeks) to see how I would receive them. She said it would either be a letter or a face to face dependant on if they'd like to check my wound.

Its currently infected so I can imagine maybe they would want to. In any event, she said results are taking 6 weeks currently and I just would have to wait.

I think the waiting is the hardest part.

I am guessing you did not get good news, if there was a next phase to move to :-(

Emily

• I’ll keep my fingers crossed for youFingers crossedFingers crossed

The waiting is definitely the worst!!

My situation has been weird. I’ve never been aware of a primary source. ‘Just’ a small lump in my groin. This was removed as a ‘belt and braces’ job with the Melanoma diagnosis following on. I was catapulted straight into Stage 3 and transferred to the Dermatology team. 
    A CT scan showed a small something in my lung which was ‘indeterminate’ from the subsequent PET scan. But it showed up something else in my knee of all places!! But still no symptoms however it had had to be investigated. It is definitely not malignant. 
    The focus can now be back on my lymph doses and seeing the surgeon tomorrow. It has been a mad summer!

• I was told I’d get results in 4-6 weeks. I phoned at six weeks and they said they’d contact me as soon as the results came in. It was 7 weeks and I had a face to face appt. 
    I think I’d have expected a face to face regardless of the result because the consultant wanted to check the wound/scar anyway. Good luck and hope you’re not waiting too long!

• My diagnosis took 4 weeks and received a phone call to go to see doctor so I think each Trust may be different was told as well depends how many they have I had to have further treatment

• I hope all goes well for you with your treatment.

Fingers crossedFingers crossed