Melanoma

• 3 replies
  • 76 subscribers

Hello all, I am here because I am looking after my husband. He has at least stage 3 melanoma. They got the primary out by surgery last year but there are secondary tumours, mostly in the groin. They say he has 6 months to a year, which is pretty shocking. It’s a whole new world, all this, and I’m amazed and humbled by all the support there is these days. And how many people are on this road. . 

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm very sorry to read about your husband's recent diagnosis and I know what a difficult time this will be for you both. There are quite a lot of people in the group who are Stage 3 along with a few who are Stage 4 and I'm sure they'll be happy to share their experiences of treatment, etc with you.

You might also like to join the carers only group which is a safe and supportive place to discuss your worries and emotions with others who are caring for a loved one living with cancer. If this is something that you'd like to do clicking on the link I've created will take you there where you can then join and post in the same way as you did here. You can also join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

It would be great if you could pop something about about your husband's diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hello Fortypence and welcome to this forum.  I'm sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis, I'm stage 3c and have almost finished my year of immunotherapy treatment.  Luckily for me right now I have no evidence of melanoma anywhere in my body so my 3 monthly scans without treatment start in November.  I've found people very supportive on here and am also humbled by the honesty of people's comments and the sharing that goes on. 

There's nothing too silly to ask and no judgement is made by anyone either which I've found reassuring.

Latchbrook has already told you about the carers group and that's worth joining too.  There's also an "Ask a Nurse"  section which might be useful to you as a carer.   I hope you also have friends and family who can support you so you can support your husband.  Welcome x

• I am a fellow 3c metastatic melanoma in the groin.

I have just had my second groin dissection in my left thigh -- primary tumor was there first time around. I am only second week in recovery but at home. It's tough for me as I should be resting but I have to juggle my caring role for my ASD son and MHT husband.

All I can say is, sleep is good, pain relief is our best friend and everyone has a different way of dealing with it.

Feel free to contact me if need a chat x