Newbie Hello

• 7 replies
  • 75 subscribers

Hello everyone I was diagnosed with stage 1A Malignant Melanoma on Friday with Wide local excision booked for 24th March.  It's all been very quick and odd.  Could I ask how this impacts on our life insurance?

I am interested to learn more and look forward to hearing from others xx

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that you've recently been diagnosed with melanoma but it's great that it's been dealt with quickly.

I'm not sure from your question if you're asking how the melanoma diagnosis impacts on your existing life insurance or on new life insurance. You might find this information from Macmillan helpful.

It would be great if you could pop something about your diagnosis and treatment into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thankyou latchbrook I have read loads from the forums it is a great source of information and comfort.  

You have been on quite a journey since 2016 hey?

Helping so many on the way.

Thankyou 

• I thought the journey would be finishing this summer at the end of 5 years of check-ups for melanoma but it would appear not Angry However, there's nothing you can do with the cards you're dealt but get on with it as best as you can.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi. Sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis.  Regarding existing life insurance, assuming you were not in the process of being diagnosed when you took the plan out, there will be no impact on existing cover as it is underwritten based on your health and medical history at the time of your application. If you were applying for a new plan, you would need to disclose your diagnosis which would likely result in you either being declined, have an exclusion on your policy or premiums may be rated (increased) due to the higher risk.  Hope that helps x

• Hi latchbrook.  I’ve just read your updated profile. So sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis. Take care and hope your treatment goes well xxx

• Thankyou Tinkerbell, new plan due on the 1st June so I will expect to declined and try not to be annoyed.

It seems odd that the reason we take out life insurance Is to help our family should we become critically ill or die!

Oh well onward and upward as they say.

Nice to have this forum to ask and share.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Hello Latchbrook, I have just read your updated profile. I am so sorry to see that you now have a different diagnosis. Sending you my very best wishes and a big hug.xxxxx.