Melanoma in Situ

• 4 replies
  • 75 subscribers

Hi all, I was told two weeks ago I have a melanoma in situ which I know is the best possible diagnosis.  I am having a WLE tomorrow.  Should I expect it to be more painful?

Thank you 

• Hi Minnie82

I guess it depends where your melanoma is. I had a melanona in situ on my upper back, diagnosed late last year, and my WLE was no more problematic/painful than the original excision. It was done under a local anaesthetic and took around 45 minutes from start to finish. I had the stitches removed after 2 weeks and the biopsy results were available then and, thankfully, all clear. Any pain/discomfort was managed by paracetemol and was rarely required. I really hope everything goes well for you tomorrow. Good luck and best wishes.

• Hi thank you so much for your reply that’s made me feel at ease.  My melanoma is on my right forearm so quite painful when moving still and that was three weeks ago.  So pleased for you that it came back all clear it’s an anxious wait.  Thank you so much for replying to me I feel better about it now.  Glad I reached out x

• Hi

My melanoma was also on my arm, although in my case my left upper arm. Like Lynskey my wound was no more painful than when I had the original excision. I took the recommended paracetamol and ibuprofen for the first two days but after that it was sore rather than painful.

By the time I went for the results two weeks later it was completely comfortable. It did take a long time for all the feeling to come back in the area but my SCNS recommended that I massage the scar with E45 a couple of times a day both to help with the appearance of the scar and also to 'teach' the skin to feel again. This certainly worked Slight smile

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi latchbrook,

Thank you so much for sharing your story I’m feeling much better about tomorrow.  I will definitely try the E45 as my present scar is quite red.

thank you again Blush