Malignant Melanoma

• 5 replies
  • 75 subscribers

I recently had a malignant melanoma and slnb which resulted in having the rest of my lymph nodes removed under my arm. 
I had the drain removed last week but have swelling / fluid under my arm pit. I have been doing drainage massage as directed . Any other advice welcome, thank you.

• Hi, I also had all my axillary lymph nodes removed last November. It was squishy with fluid for a while but not too bad. I regularly rotated my whole arm to get the movement back and now there is no swelling, though the numb areas will always remain but are fine.

• Hi,

I am 5 weeks post op - removal of lymph nodes in left armpit,  I had my drains removed 8 days after surgery.I also experienced fluid build up after about four weeks it seemed to spread into my shoulder. I booked into see the nurse and they decide to drain it. They took about 200ml out. It was instant relief but it has started to come back again, the nurse recommended a warm press every 15 minutes for a few hours at a time. I have tried this, it does seem to ease the swelling for a while. 

I hope that helps.. the nurse did say I can come back if it gets too uncomfortable but the risk of draining is infection. 

• Hi, 4 years ago I had a malignant melanoma removed from under my finger nail and until recently I hoped that was it. Then having discovered a lump in my armpit, I’m now also 5 weeks post op from axcillary lymph node dissection - still waiting for results for next steps. I don’t have too much swelling in the arm, but my hand is a little swollen from time to time. However I do have swelling in my chest on that side. Has anyone else experienced this? Other than that things are okay just waiting is the worst part. 

• Hi 

sorry to hear it has returned but glad it was caught early. I am 6 months post operation. I had an axiallary lymph node removal in the left hand side. My swelling started in my wrist and thumb. However, this is alit better but I was shown lymph drain massages. I cycle a lot and the next day I get swelling. This can be in my arm or chest. It is getting better so maybe give it a bit more time and don’t do too much. I was big into fitness and I have had to really try and manage this as my arm can get tired and swollen the next day. I also get swelling just before my period.. 

I hope it improves and that you can remain strong whilst waiting for the results. 

• Thankyou for your reply - it’s good to know that you have had a similar experience and that a bit further down the line, you are managing to do the things you enjoy to do, with some careful management and monitoring. Are you having some kind of drug therapy alongside? If so is this giving you any negative side effects?  
    hope all continues to be well for you and you can continue to enjoy your cycling. Take care and thanks again.