Melanoma & Critical illness policy

• 2 replies
  • 73 subscribers

Hi All

I wondered if any of you had any experience, positive or negative, for claiming on critical illness insurance for melanoma? I was recently diagnosed and my employer pointed out I have this policy which might cover it. But it was only stage 1 (thank goodness) and so I am not sure I will be covered? The policy claim conditions seem to say malignant melanoma is covered if it had been ‘histologically classified as having invaded beyond the epidermis’ - does anyone have any clue what this means in relation to the cancer staging?

Many Thanks. 

• Hi Ragirl, I have not had critical illness cover, and therefore made no claims. I have been on the site a long time though and heard of many people who have had older critical illness policies been able to claim. Newer policies after immunotherapy was introduced have made things a bit stricter. 

I thought the Macmillan info on staging might help you, so I’ve put a link below.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/melanoma/staging-of-melanoma

Take care KT

• Thanks KT - this is actually really helpful and I haven’t seen it explained in this way anywhere else. I appreciate you taking the time to reply to me. Of course I would rather have not had the melanoma at all, but it is worth me checking this out I think given I have the policy in place already and I am probably going to struggle to get cancer cover again in future.