Dad's CT scan results

• 2 replies
  • 55 subscribers

My Dad has just had his CT scan results back. They said that the abdominal mass and pelvic area have interval shrinkage.  (Think that was the term used) and the other areas are just stable. Wh have been told thst this is good news but my Dad is absolutely deflated.  

The fatigue is really destroying him! He just doesn't have any quality in life at the moment. All he does is sleeps, he is to tired to do anything.  Depression is setting in now. He has recently just started taking levothyroxine as his thyroid is not working properly and he has bow got type 2 diabetes from the treatment.   and his mouth is really dry, he said that there is no saliva in his mouth and he has lost his appetite. Has anyone else had similar problems with the dry mouth? His is really bad!

• Hi  

I'm sorry to read how poorly your dad is feeling at the moment and I hope his hospital team are aware and are trying to support and help him.

I don't have any experience with 'dry mouth' but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list again.

You say that "depression is setting in now" and I wondered if your dad had spoken to his GP about this as they should be able to help? Also Macmillan have teamed up with Bupa to offer up to 4 free counselling sessions for people who are struggling emotionally because they are living with cancer. Do you think your dad might be open to this? If so clicking on the link I've created will give you more information.

Also he might find that talking things through with one of the nurses on the Macmillan Support Line might be helpful. They are available daily from 8am to 8pm on 0808 808 0000.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi. I have found it good to get my team to request prescriptions from the GP re side effects.  In my case for treatment related constipation and dry mouth and weight loss arising from loss of appetite (dealt with by respectively Macrogol, mouth spray, Aymes shakes drinks).  I am on Pembrolizumab but these side effects seem to be fairly common ones, and my GP responds to Oncology requests.  Extreme fatigue and mood volatility have been two of the other issues over a year of treatment so far.  I recommend the other posts suggestions.  Also the FB page Melanomamates has a wonderfully kind and helpful group of fellow UK patients which you or he can join and which includes many Ipi/Nivo people.