Punch biopsy

• 6 replies
  • 55 subscribers

Hello I had a punch biopsy on Friday and was told that the results would be available in 8-12weeks which seems a very long time to wait.If I have melanoma would this long wait present considerable risk and do the biopsies ever show anything other than a cancer.Naturally I’m worried that waiting potentially another three months poses added risk.

any thoughts would be appreciated x

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

Can I ask if you live in the UK and if you were referred because they suspected melanoma? The reason I ask is because the usual timeframe for results to be back is 2-6 weeks with most people getting them around the 4 week mark.

I had an excision biopsy, so not sure how a punch biopsy differs, but with an excision biopsy the whole lesion is removed so a delay in getting the results shouldn't pose a problem as the whole melanoma would have been removed, if it is melanoma.

In answer to "do the biopsies ever show anything other than a cancer", the answer is yes. I've had lesions removed which were non-cancerous in the past.

I hope yours turns out not to be cancer.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hello latchbrook yes I live in the UK,they haven’t really said what they suspect it is although it does resemble melanoma from some of the photographs I keep looking at. I’ve  gone round and round in circles between my go and dermatology for a number of years now.More recently a nurse in dermatology took a photograph and it’s the outcome of that appointment that led to the punch biopsy. 

• I'll be keeping everything crossed that it isn't melanoma.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• I had a punch biopsy on a lesion not considered to be a melanoma and have been told 6-8 weeks for the results.

• I've just had a letter with my biopsy result and considering my biopsy was Feb 3rd the timing was as promised. The good news no cancer cells and diagnosed as a lichenoid keratosis. Well pleased with that.