Side effects of immunotherapy

• 3 replies
  • 59 subscribers

Hi fellow travellers on this scary journey

i have had a recurrence of a Melanoma  adjacent to  the same area as the first one (approx 2 years apart)

As  A consequence I Have now been classified as stage 3B which is scary enough

i have had one session of immunotherapy with pembrolizumab which has cause a flare up of my Polymyalgia 

The therapy has now been suspended while they try to sort it with steroids

I’m obviously a bit anxious about where this leaves me for the future of my cancer treatment

Has anyone got any advice for me or have they been thought through the same problem 

Thanks everyone out there

Pebbles

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that the immunotherapy you've had has caused a flare up of your polymyalgia. This must be a very worrying time for you and I hope that the steroids do their 'magic'.

It would be great if you could pop something about your diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Pebble Beach, I’m Stage 4 palliative and I had to stop my treatment early December due to a side effect - Autoimmune Hepatitis. I felt the same as you but my oncology team have been amazing every step of the way. I have had a few setbacks with my liver but I’m hoping to begin treatment next week. Yesterday I found out the results of my first. 3 month check up and my melanoma on my pelvis, stomach and in my left femoral artery had shrunk. 

Just take each day at a time Heart

Kate x

• Hi pebble beach I was diagnosed stage 3b melanoma in November 2021.  I started immunotherapy (Pembro) in feb following year without too many issues, however after 8 cycles (I was due to have 9) my oncologist stopped treatment due to arthralgia.  I have been on a five day course of iv steroids and now on oral steroids which seem to be helping (fingers crossed). I have been reassured that not having the last treatment won’t affect anything but I still do feel a bit anxious.  All scans have been clear but it is the anxiety they cause waiting for results.