It’s been a while…

• 5 replies
  • 57 subscribers

Good evening, 

I do check on here most days but haven’t wrote anything on here because let’s just say from the 17/10/22 I have been on some rollercoaster Roller coaster.

Due to being rushed in with a serious wound infection I had an emergency CT scan and from this they found that the melanoma had spread to my pelvis and stomach. After a week of intensive IV I was released and my care was transferred to Clatterbridge. So not only was I still recovering from loosing my heel, groin dissection and knowing that the cancer had spread my head went west for a bit.

I began my immunotherapy journey in November. The plan was to give me 5 double treatments of Ipi/Nivo every three weeks. First round was great and I felt okay afterwards. The only side effect was aThought balloonash on my chest. Then it was time for my second round and let’s just say my body said no! I had an allergic reaction and it began 2 minutes into it. I thought I was having a heart attack and so didThought balloony medical team but it was just an allergic reaction. They told me that I would have to take antihistamines before my next treatment. I was okay for about a week then I went downhill. I thought Thought balloon I had the flu, I lost a lot of weight, couldn’t eat, itchy all over and it turns out that I have Autoimmune hepatitis. Treatment has been put on hold and I have had to have intensive steroid treatment which has worked.

On the positive side I had my 3 month check up on Friday and my cancer nurses were crying as they could not believe how well I am and the fact that I’m walking with crutches - my heel has grown back itself, it doesn’t look great but I can deal with that. I’m a very positive person and I have a great supportive family and I’m ready to fight once again!

I do hope you are all doing ok and if not remember it’s ok to feel like that too x

• Sounds like a really tough journey, well done for keeping your head up. But at the same time, it’s okay to lean on others now and again so I hope you have a support system around you giving you love right now!

• Hi sorry for what you have been through and still going through. Are you going to go back on the ipi and Nivolumab? or Nivolumab only. I myself have had lots of treatment as I had a large tumour burden,I had a groin dissection too which has left me with lymphoedema in one leg. I know how hard it is to get through these treatments and I am normally a very positive person. It also takes it out on the people who care for you. My husband has been incredibly supportive and my treatment started in 2010   I am now on three monthly check ups and CT scans. When melanoma came back with it near my spine ,in my lungs and also a very large tumour near my kidney I didn’t think I would survive but became more positive as I received the treatment and tended to keep my life as normal as I could ,resting when I needed but also going out to meet friends and walking .I tried to eat healthy foods and especially berries. I think your description of a roller coaster is correct but keep fighting and remain positive. 

Lgrgdg90
  • I also have lymphoedema in my left leg but it’s under control at the minute. They have said they are just going to carry on with Nivo and see how I go. All depends how my blood tests tomorrow x

• I have the best support system x

• Good luck with results 

Lgrgdg90