Fear of needles/ intravenous infusions

• 2 replies
  • 56 subscribers

Hi There,

I've got Stage 4 melanoma, been treated since 2018, moved on from various surgeries and previous adjuvant treatment (dabrafenib etc) to immunotherapy by infusion. This means I am having to deal with my fear of needles and being attached to machines via tubes and canulas. Anyone got any good tips for dealing with that?

I'll say in passing that I meditate quite a lot (been doing mindfulness for years)and would massively recommend it for being more resilient and keeping mental health more ok that it would be, but it is no good at all for me in the moment of receiving physical treatment using a needle. I need to NOT be hyper-aware of my body in that moment as it just makes the fear more overwhelming... that's been buiding up over a series of local anaesthetic procedures & all the endless scans. So I need to do something different in the actual moment.

Obviously I've had a look around t'interweb etc. but what I know these forums are really good for is actual lived experience: what helped you guys?

Susie

• Hi. I have just finished my immunotherapy treatment which I had every 4 weeks. I am not sure if this will help you but keep your hands warm ,eg wear gloves before treatment as it helps the nurse find the right place   Also tell her or him your fear so they understand. I tend to count to10 or try to distract myself when the cannula goes in. I take a book,drink and sometimes myI Pad to pass the time during treatment. I actually had dab tram before immunotherapy and had much less side effects with immunotherapy than the tablets. Hope this helps. I am NED at moment after 5 years of treatment.

Lgrgdg90
  • Hi there,

Thank you for this. That is encouraging and helpful. 

I'll try your counting method as maybe just having something concrete and easy to do in my head will be enough!

Good reminder about the hands. Also going to drink like a fish all morning and avoid coffee to plump up my veins.

Best,

Susie