Skin Cancer Melanoma (thigh)

• 7 replies
  • 58 subscribers

Hi Im 38 and I’ve just been diagnosed with pt2a melanoma skin cancer and looking to talk through experiences with. Waiting to meet the plastic surgeon on the 23rd and it will need a wider excision and I’ve been offered the sentinel lympnode biopsy. Feeling hot and tired all the time. Is this normal? 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which i hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I too was diagnosed with a pt2a melanoma, although mine was on my upper left arm and nearly 6 years ago now. I had the follow up wide local excision (WLE) and sentinel lymph node biopsy (SLNB) and I'm happy to share my experiences of those operations with you if there's anything you want to ask.

You haven't said how long ago you had the excision biopsy but feeling hot could be a sign of an infection so you should get this checked out as soon as possible. I realise it's the weekend, so you're not going to be able to get in touch with your GP, but you could ring NHS111 to get their advice.

It would be great if you could pop something about your diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Sorry the excision was on the 01.09.22 

It feels more like hot flushes. As a young mum of two daughters I’m just feeling really anxious Disappointed relieved 

• It's natural to feel anxious but that's the great thing about the community, we all understand and you can ask us anything Slight smile

Are you feeling anxious about the hot flushes, or the upcoming surgery or because of your diagnosis?

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Mainly my diagnosis - Im just hoping it hasn’t spread x

• Well, you're in good company there as I don't think there's anyone in the group who hasn't worried that the melanoma may have spread. If you take up the offer of a SLNB this will give an indication as to whether there has been spread or not.

My best advice would be to find something that distracts you so you don't spend too much time wondering about the 'what ifs'. If you have any hobbies or interest this would be a good time to indulge yourself. Lots of people find mindfulness really useful and, if this is something that interests you, clicking here will take you to the NHS page about it.

x

Community Champion Badge

• Hi  I'm going through the same.  My Melanoma was on the back of my thigh.  I had my pre-op today and have my Op on the 21st.   I've felt exhausted since diagnosis but my brain is constantly processing things.

If you're worried then seek some professional advice, you'll probably be contacted by a nurse soon, it not already. My chat with them helped me a lot.

All the best with it, if it's helpful I can share my experience next week.

• I hope everything goes smoothly for you. Yes I’ve had a call with my nurse on Friday and received all the info pack yesterday. It’s such a lot to take in isnt it but trying to remain positive as I’ve two young girls looking up to me  X