Last day of dab/tram and terrified of future

• 4 replies
  • 58 subscribers

Today is my last day of 13 months of dab/tram for stage 3d melanoma ( I had 13 months due to having breaks in treatment because of side effects). I'm due to see my oncologist tomorrow. I have been having breakdowns the last few weeks and I'm terrified that when treatment stops, that  cancer will start growing and spreading again. Just wondering what to ask my oncologist tomorrow and how other people cope?  

• It was certainly a big change in routine.

I just do what I can to keep an eye on changes, etc. I assume you'll be having scans so that's another way of monitoring things and keeping on top.

And if it comes to it there's always other drugs to try.

• Thanks. I'll keep putting one foot in front of the other and stay vigilant 

• Hello Hut, I had my last dose of Pembro on 22nd August and am now rudderless too!

I was diagnosed 3c last march, Braf negative so just offered Pembro.  I can see that this can be a really difficult time of adjustment for all of us.  Someone advised me to access a paper by Dr Peter Harvey-- (I think that's his name) called "After treatment stops- what happens next? "

I'll check up on the exact details and correct the info if it's wrong.

Personally I feel I can't let melanoma take over my life anymore than it has so I'm trying to keep busy and am hoping to return to studying.

I know I felt safe whilst on immunotherapy and it does keep working after the doses have stopped but I'm sure that after each 3 monthly CT and MRI I will start getting anxious.  During the treatment I wasn't too worried after scans plus the docs found I had two brain aneurysms whilst scanning during the diagnosis and staging time so that's another distraction!

There's no easy answer Hut, wish there was- I'd make a fortune selling it!  Nah I'm soft so I'll give it away x 

It might be worth taking this time to think about attempting something new in your life.  It doesn't have to be jumping out of aeroplanes!

For now, some rest and recuperation is needed plus some spoiling. Stand proud of what you've achieved.  13 months of treatment - that's quite a load to deal with so pat yourself on the back, drink champagne/beer/ wine/ non-alcoholic stuff/ blow you own horn and celebrate your amazing achievement.

Take care xxx

• Thanks Allotment lover. It really is scary. I spoke to my oncologist who agrees with you and to not let cancer take over my life. I had left work upon starting treatment, but had a job interview on Friday and was offered the job. I'm going to use this as a fresh start and be positive. Thanks for the advice.