Swollen lymph nodes while on Dabrafenib and Trametinib

• 2 replies
  • 56 subscribers

Hi all,

I'm new here and hoping to find some emotional support.

My partner of 10 years was diagnosed with melanoma back in 2020 (cancerous mole on neck), and has various surgeries (biopsies, and lymph nodes removed). In October 2021, he was admitted into hospital with a collapsed lung, which was caused by his melanoma spreading. He was then fast-tracked onto Dabrafenib and Trametinib (he was due to go on these to prevent the melanoma from coming back). He has been on the targeted treatment since October 2021, and the swelling had mostly calmed down.

Over the last week or so, he has noticed his lymph nodes on his neck swelling up (like they did back in October 2021). These are different lymph nodes to last time. We contacted his doctor, and we got an urgent CT scan booked in. He had this afternoon, and we now wait for the results. 

I am so worried about him. He was so positive when he started the targeted treatment, and now it sounds like it hasn't worked. He's on immunosuppressants for his Chron's, so I worry what the other options for treatment are. 

I'm trying my best to keep positive in front of him, but it's obviously very hard when we're not sure what the results or other treatment options will be. 

• Hi EmC2 I’m sorry to hear about your husband’s need for a an urgent scan. I’m sure the results will come as urgent to. When things have not been straightforward it’s so natural to feel down, I try to get in a headspace that even bad results are good because they are moving things on to help. I don’t know how his immunosuppressants will affect any decision on immunotherapy but wanted to wish you luck and for time to pass at the right pace for you.

Best wishes

Take care KT

• Thank you KT. Still waiting to hear the results from the scan - it's horrible waiting. 
    Thanks for your support.