Letter from dermatology

• 23 replies
  • 59 subscribers

Hi. I’ve just had my gp’s  report through from my melanoma diagnosis and at the bottom of the letter it says I was noted to have slight anaemia with a low platelet count. I never had any blood tests. How can the dermatologist tell when he only looked at my skin after he gave me the diagnosis? 

• Hi

I'm sure you're right that your dermatologist can't tell you have slight anaemia and a low platelet count from examining your skin so my guess would be that this was reported by the pathology labs when they sent the results of your biopsy to your consultant.

The best person to answer this question would probably be your SCNS so you could give them a ring on Monday.

Let us know what they say

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi. Good idea. I will phone my nurse on Monday. Didn’t realise it would show up in the biopsy. x 

• I don't know that these results do show up in the biopsy but it was my best guess Slight smile

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• It’s definitely worth a try as I couldn’t think how he could see I may have slight anemia just by looking at my skin :) x

• Hi Kaussie, 

It's not possible to tell from the biopsy material if you have anemia or low platelets as far as I know. How about pre-op bloods, or your previous blood test done via GP? It is definitely intriguing. 

• Hi Elmyra, it’s strange isn’t it. I haven’t had any blood tests yet. I can only think maybe because I’m very pale skinned and also looked white as a sheet  when I went in for my diagnosis that he suspected I may be slightly anaemic. I’ve no rashes on my skin that I can see so I don’t know. Im sure I’ll hear from my gp. I’m also on antidepressants at the moment as I wasn’t coping very well leading upto my diagnosis. Maybe they alter your blood. I’m sure I’ll find out soon enough. x 

• Thanks for replying and for letting us know  that the biopsy can't reveal anaemia or low platelets.

x

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you both for replying back to me. It’s reallY appreciated x 

• No worries latchbrook, though I am not a medic, I remember form my histopath studies (10 year ago!) on biopsy material, they look for lymphocyte infiltration, macrophages etc that are all immune system response cells and not platelets or red blood cells.

Please let us know Kaussie when you find out. 

• Will do. Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it. x