Sunscreen in winter?

• 6 replies
  • 59 subscribers

Hi all,

I was wondering your practice during winter for sun exposure.

Today in London UV seems to be 1 (out of 10), so almost non existent. Still I am wearing my 40+cream on my face and hands. I have a wide bream hat and glasses, I am not planning to sunbathe just will have a walk by the Thames.

Do you still wear high spf outside April-October? Or to you step down a bit? 

• Hi

I personally stop wearing sunscreen between November and March, although if I go abroad during this time period then I do wear sunscreen again. However, I still cover up but that's mainly because it's too cold not to, lol!

I guess it's down to what you feel comfortable with. If you'd feel happier wearing sunscreen all year round then there's nothing wrong with that. 

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank for your reply latchbrook, 

I was thinking just to cover (I am always cold too) and use a hat during winter months in the UK, but was wondering if I am taking it too lightly. Good to know you do the same. 

• As Latchbrook said it depends how comfortable you feel . I haven’t worn it for weeks as the ub been mainly at1 in Scotland so not needed . It’s Also good to give face. Rest from it too . Doubt I’ll be wearing it again until March next year unless uv was aboove 2/3 and I was.going out at thd peak times of 12-3 
  • Thank you Adam55 for your reply.

Glad to hear you are following the same practice with UV numbers as I do. I'll be keeping an eye on it. I think I'll wear moisturiser with spf as my face can't take the winter winds without some help (in terms of dryness) but will put the Sunscreen aside for the next few months. 

• yesh that's sounds good . Believe me but when i was initially diagnosed I would never leave the house without sunscreen and this was last November  So I'm far more relaxed but still careful but the UV in Scotland in particular are extremely low now and until end of March .  Regards Adam

• Having just been given the all clear I intend to take every conceivable precaution particulaly as I'm a keen cyclist and gardener. So for me it's going to be factor 50 all year round plus protective base layers under my normal cycling kit.