Ongoing response to immunotherapy

• 6 replies
  • 59 subscribers

Hi all,

I just wanted to share - and update to those who’ve been following for longer - my latest 6 monthly scan results.

The quick summary: I’ve been a Stage 4 patient since 2017, with small lesions appearing in my lung after a primary on my neck in 2015. I also had a left neck dissection and a parotidectomy in Dec 15 after it spread to a lymph node.

I had 2.5 years of successful targeted therapy (DAB Tram) before a recurrence in Feb 2020 in both lungs. Started on dual immunotherapy (Ipi & Nivo) in March 20 but had to convert to just Nivo after one infusion due to COVID & side effects. Tolerated 3 more Nivo infusions but stopped in June 20 due to stomach inflammation after a scan showed I was responding to the treatment.

June 20 scan showed lesions shrinking.

Aug 20 scan showed only traces remaining.

Feb 21 showed complete response.

Aug 21 shows continued complete response.

Sharing the news to encourage those on other stages of this often harrowing journey. It can be very distressing but these new treatments can be incredibly effective.

I’m by no means in the clear. It feels like a half way point, as my oncologist has the 3 year mark as the point where the chances of recurrence reduce even further. But it’s as good as it can be at this stage.

Despite the good news I still have to manage the anxiety, with the odd sense of being slightly adrift after being pushed out to 6 monthly scans. My oncologist was chipper: she said I’ve clearly had a strong response and that “there’s plenty more immunotherapy” if I need it in the future.

I can get support from my Melanoma nurse if I need it but get the definite feeling that I’m now much further down the priority list. That’s both encouraging, because they clearly see my risk status reducing, but also a little unsettling after being on this journey for so long.

The big learning is to only focus on what you can control. Compartmentalise when you can and get on with your life as best you can. If you’re unsure about anything, don’t brood - just ask your team. They can help you get the answers that this uncertainty inevitably brings.

Good luck everyone.

• Hi Tarilan I’m so glad you came back to share your good news. I hope you come back in Feb March with more of the same. It’s so nice to hear how people are getting on.

Take care KT

• This is lovely to read xx 

• An inspiring post, Tarilan. Delighted for you and everything crossed for the future. Your advise about focussing only on what you can control is so sensible. Thank you.

"There is nothing as powerful as a made up mind"  - JASON SCHECHTERLE.

• AdviCe. sorry.

"There is nothing as powerful as a made up mind"  - JASON SCHECHTERLE.

• Good Morning Tarilan

Thank you for sharing your response to Nov + Ipi.  It's really encouragi g. I had my 1st infusion 3 weeks ago and am due my We go g one today. I really hope I have the same response as you. Blood tests last Friday show my thyroid has been affected for which I have been given medication. The only side effect I have so far is nausea and loss of appetite . 

I have anxiety all the time and worry about scans. I have to have a head and neck scan as sonethi g has been noted on my previous one 1 month ago  

Is it right the immomunotherapy works on the whole body  How much I formation do you have about this

I hope all continues  to go well for you

Please keep in touch

Best wishes

Parklands

• Anxiety comes with this journey, especially around scan time: offered referred to as scanxiety.  It’s something I think most if not all patients have to live with. 
    You can’t control what happens to you or what a scan will show, only how you respond. Easy to say I know but that’s the key. A lesson I learnt early on was about mindset. Rather than focusing on what might happen, I decided instead to stay defiant. I visualised melanoma as an invading monster and whatever it did, I would continue to fight it.

That approach helps me but you have to find your own coping mechanism and your medical team can help you. They can also help you with your questions about the effectiveness of immunotherapy.

One thing my oncologist told me was that side effects were generally a good sign, as it was evidence that the immune system was active.

Goid luck with your treatment.