Malignant melanoma, lentigo maligna type

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 56 subscribers

Hi everybody and thank you for your time.

I live in Asia and was recently diagnosed with Lentigno Maligna. I had a 2cm x 2cm lesion on my cheek.  I would have liked Mohs surgery but it was not really available, I opted for Imiquimod treatment but after a few days decided to go Excision route to be sure. Now I have a 12cm scar running below my eye and down to my cheek which I can live with.

I'm a 58 year old male in pretty good health BTW. I've received the Pathology report today. I think it looks OK !  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as the Hospitals here just cut and bill ! ie do the surgery and refund the deposit !!! 

Anything I should do next, eat healthy, dont smoke, I dont ! Scans, annual check ups etc etc ?:

Here's the Pathology report

Clinical Diagnosis: Lentigo maligna left cheek

Gross Description:

The specimen is received in formalin, labeled with the patient’s
name, an accession number, and additional labeling as “Left cheek, suture at 12
o’clock”. It consists of a 6 x 3 cm rubbery, tan, ellipse of skin excised to a maximum
depth of 0.5 cm. There is an eccentric lightly pigmented macule measuring 2 x 1.5
cm. Representative sections: six cassettes. (A)
Summary of sections:
A1-A4 lesion + 3 and 6 o’clock margins
A5 12 o’clock margin
A6 6 o’clock margin

Microscopic:
All of the sections shows an irregular epidermal hyperplasia. There is a proliferation
of normal-looking melanocytes that are confined to the dermoepidermal junction at
the center of the lesion. The dermis shows fibrosis and lymphohistiocytic infiltrate.
There are no atypical melanocytes in the epidermis, along the dermoepidermal
junction or in the dermis.

Pathological Diagnosis:
Left cheek, suture at 12 o’clock:
Malignant melanoma, letigo maligna type: status post-wide excision.
There are an irregular epidermal hyperplasia, dermal fibrosis and chronic nonspecific
inflammation. There are no residual atypical melanocytes left in any of these
sections. The melanoma was completely excised.

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to read that you have recently been diagnosed with lentigo maligna. As you probably know this is one type of the earliest stages of melanoma. If you want to read more about it clicking on the link I've created will take you to information produced by BAD (British Association of Dermatologists).

As we are all patients, rather than medical professionals, it would be wrong of us to try and interpret your results. The consultant dermatologist who you originally saw will be able to explain your pathology report to you.

As lentigo maligna is caused by exposure to too much ultraviolet light in sunlight, or the use of artificial sources of ultraviolet light such as sunbeds, whilst leading a healthy lifestyle is a good idea it's important to :

• Look at all areas of your skin monthly for moles that are growing, or changing and if you find any worrying changes, see your doctor promptly.
    • Protect yourself from too much sun. This means that you need to avoid sunbathing, sunburn and tanning. You can do this by covering yourself up and using sun protection creams, especially if on holiday in a hot country.
    • Do not use sunbeds or tanning lamps.

BAD's top sun safety tips are:

• Protect your skin with adequate clothing, wear a hat that protects your face, neck and ears, and a pair of UV protective sunglasses. Choose sun protective clothing (with permanently sun-protective fabric, widely available for adults and children) if you have fair skin or many moles. 
    • Spend time in the shade between 11am and 3pm when it’s sunny. Step out of the sun before your skin has a chance to redden or burn.
    • When choosing a sunscreen look for a high protection SPF (current recommendations are SPR 50 or 50+) to protect against UVB, and the UVA circle logo and/or 4 or 5 UVA stars to protect against UVA. Apply plenty of sunscreen 15 to 30 minutes before going out in the sun, and reapply every two hours and straight after swimming and towel-drying.  However, remember that sunscreens are not an alternative to clothing and shade, rather they offer additional protection. No sunscreen will provide 100% protection. 

I hope some of this helps

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi

I hope you managed to speak to someone in your medical team so that they could explain the results of your pathology report.

How are you feeling?

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"