Is fake tan a no no?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 8 replies
  • 57 subscribers

I know it’s early and it’s not something I’m rushing out to do Or is it the end of the world if it’s a no but is fake tan out after Melanoma. I’m not after anything crazy just a light fake tan to take the white glow away in the summer. I know the ingredients make you more susceptible to the sun so the plan would be to use a paraben free fake tan the evening before and wash what’s left off well in the morning then I’d be using factor 50 and keeping in the shade as much as I can. TIA x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I'd be interested in knowing if it's a no no as well.  I suspect the chemicals in it may be an issue, but would like to know if it is an option. 

• Hi and

I don't personally use fake tan, I'm cultivating the pale and interesting look, but I have found this information from Cancer Research on the subject. You will see that it says:

"Fake tan products contain dihydroxyacetone (DHA), a substance that reacts with the top layer of your skin to change its colour. In 2010, experts at the Scientific Committee on Consumer Safety concluded that fake tan products containing DHA are not a health risk.­ But we still need to know more about any potential long term effects."

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Yes I read that too. I’m planning to use it in the summer but carefully so I’ll put it on over night wash it all off in the morning and then slap on the factor 50 and be extra careful for that first day keeping in the shade. 

• I don't want to be a kill joy but just wanted to check that you know that you should stay in the shade during the strongest time of the day (11am to 3pm) between April and October inclusive in the UK and in all months of the year in any other part of the world. I was just a little worried when you said that you'd be keeping in the shade on the first day.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember

What I meant by the first day is I won’t rely on factor 50 and just sit in the shade I’ll cover up/stay inside too. 

However I won’t be in the shade or inside all that time. I’ll have to make my own shade I will have to wear upf50 clothing factor 50 suncream and a upf50 wide brimmed hat and gloves. I work outside hon I lead walks so am out all day when I work I have to live I cannot confine myself to indoors. 

• Yes, I can see that staying in the shade, not necessarily indoors, would be difficult if you work outside but you sound like you're prepared with clothing, wide brimmed hat, etc Slight smile

x

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember

Yes that’s why I’m going for the guaranteed UPF50 clothing rather that certain fabrics that are meant to be good at stopping the UV. It’s not cheap but you can’t put a price on your health. I have just treated myself to a Tilley hat which will stay firmly on my head as soon as the spring arrives. I’m also going to buy a sun brolly for lunch stops so I always have my own shade. I’ve an app too that sets reminders to reapply suncream. My walkers have been warned they will be completely sun safe once I’ve finished with them lol

• Hi would be useful where you find UPF50 clothing I have just bought some loose clothing long sleeved, to be a little prepared for the coming season but apart from that would be grateful for knowledge Thanks