Numbness after SLNB?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 57 subscribers

Hi all, just had SLNB around 5 days ago. Removed node from my left armpit. All is well, no signs of infection... heat, redness, temp etc, but I have noticed today slight swelling and  pins-and-needles type numbness under the affected arm. Is this normal?

• Hi 

I haven't had that op/ surgery, but I have has several others and most were as you describe afterwards.  Some had some mild bee sting type moments (nothing severe don't worry) for several months afterwards on odd occasions too. The numbness has happened in all the areas where I've been operated upon except the one inside my wrist. Still like everything else you will will adjust to it with a little time. 

All that said, keep a close eye and if you are in any doubt call your GP.

Take care,

J

Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and find it!

• Hi 

My SLNB was in my armpit and it was initially swollen. However, by the time I went for my results two weeks later the swelling had gone. 

I had the numbness you described and it took a long time before it went. When the wound was checked by the SCNS two weeks after the op she recommended that I massage both the area of the SLNB and WLE with E45 a couple of times a day. She said this was to moisturise the areas and also to "teach them to feel again".

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"