Mucosal melanoma

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 56 subscribers

Morning 
I was diagnosed 2019 with vaginal mucosal melanoma which is very rare (so I’ve been told), had surgery to remove melanoma, right lymph node removal and pelvic nodes removed in December 19.  Recovered very well although left with slight lymphoedema in right leg. In February 2020 I noticed a lesion on my right labia but with the lockdown I only managed telephone conversations with my consultant until August when I attended a consultation and it was agreed that I needed further surgery. I had the lesion removed 4 weeks ago and was informed yesterday via telephone conversation that it was another melanoma but it’s undecided whether it’s a new one or whether it links to my primary. I am now to have further surgery as clear margins were not obtained but prior to surgery I am being referred to the nuclear Medicine department to identify which lymph nodes may be involved as these will need removal if accessible. I have remained positive throughout this ordeal but I’m now getting fearful of what the future holds. Has anyone had a referral to nuclear Medicine department or can offer any advice on how to remain positive.

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

I'm sorry to read that you have been diagnosed with another melanoma. It must be a very difficult time for you and I can understand why you might be struggling. Touch wood, I've only had the one melanoma and actually today is the four year anniversary of it being removed!

My melanoma was on my arm and I had the follow-up surgery that is planned for you which consisted of a wide local excision (WLE) and sentinel lymph node biopsy (SLNB). 

As the hospital where I was having the operations done didn't have a nuclear medicine department, I went for the lymphoscintigraphy in the afternoon and then had the operations the following morning.

The nuclear medicine department do the lymphoscintigraphy, which is to identify which of your lymph node is the sentinel. Radioactive dye was injected into my arm next to where the melanoma was removed from and then I had to lie on an examining couch with my arm on the pillow above my head while they waited for the dye to move to the sentinel lymph node. A machine was above me and they could watch the take up of the dye on a computer screen. 

I can't remember how long it took in total but I was probably there for about an hour. They'll warn you that your urine will be an interesting colour for a day or two!

When you have your SLNB the surgeon using a handheld device to find the sentinel lymph node which has got the dye in it.

If I can help with any more questions about your upcoming surgery please do ask.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Is it all done on the same day or do I have the surgery later ?

• Whether it's all done on the same day or not will depend on the hospital involved. As I said, mine was done on two different days as the hospital that was doing the surgery didn't have a nuclear medicine department.

I'm glad to hear that your radiotherapy procedure went well and that you're feeling better today. I'll keep my fingers crossed for your PET scan.

I was going to say 'wow, that's an early Christmas market' but just realised that Christmas isn't that far away.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi

I wondered if you'd had the date for your wide local excision (WLE) and sentinel lymph node biopsy (SLNB) yet?

x

Community Champion Badge