Wide Excision and SLNB

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 17 replies
  • 56 subscribers

I’ve had a malignant melanoma removed from my back and I’m now booked in for a Wide Excision and SLNB (Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy). Does any one have any information on what I am to expect? And any information on Malignant Melanoma would be great also 

Thank you x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Laurnu94,

I hope you're recovering well from your melanoma surgery. I would say you are doing exactly the right thing asking for information about the next stage here. You will find lots of people who've been through this.

Last year I had a melanoma removed from my right 'flank' (over my rib cage) and then had the wider excision and SLNB. They removed an extra 2cm of tissue from around the site of the scar. The new scar healed well and I was back at work two weeks later. I felt like I could have taken a bit more time off work so bear that in mind, especially if you are currently having to travel to work. Be kind to yourself.

I was happy with my treatment, the surgeon was very sympathetic and explained everything really clearly. Both procedures were carried out on the same day as a day patient. The wider excision was just as described but the SLNB involved doing a series of special CT scans first with contrast injected via a cannula to find the sentinel lymph node. This procedure was carried out on the day of the surgery. They then removed the SLN when they did the wider excision. The SLNB scar was a bit sore for a while. It was under my armpit so I couldn't wear a bra for a few weeks. It's fine now though and I can't feel it at all.

As I'm sure you know they are testing to see if the cancer has spread and personally I found the waiting very stressful. If you do too, I would recommend keeping in touch with your Macmillan nurse and you can always call the Macmillan support line too. Or you can drop us a line here.

I hope this is the kind of information you wanted. Good luck with everything and do keep in touch.

• Hi and a very warm welcome to the online community

I had both a wide local excision (WLE) and sentinel lymph node biopsy (SLNB) three years ago. I'd like to tell you all about it but there seems to be a glitch with the site at the moment which won't let me type anymore than this to you.

I'll try again later.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

That would be great! Hopefully you can type further soon!

• Hi

I don't want you to think I've forgotten you.

I've just done a great long reply to you only for it to refuse to post. If this posts then I'm going to try sending my message to you in small chunks!

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Right, well that seemed to go okay so on to the next bit!

As I started to say, I had a WLE and SLNB just over three years ago. My melanoma was 1.45mm deep which meant that I had 2cm removed all around the original excision site, which was on my upper arm. This meant that I ended up with a wound about 6 inches long but now is hardly visible.

Anyway, on to answering your questions about a WLE and SLNB. Obviously these are my experiences so might not be the same for you.The day before my ops I had to report to the Nuclear Medicine Department where they injected a radioactive dye as close as possible to the original excision site. I then had to lie on my back with my arm above my head and a machine placed above me. I can't remember exactly how long I was there but it may have been about an hour. Once the dye was seen to have settled in a node I was able to go.

Community Champion Badge

• So far, so good.....

The following day I was first down for surgery, which was great as I didn't have time to sit around worrying. The surgeon and anaesthetist came and introduced themselves and explained what would be happening and I was able to ask questions. I was very nervous about having a general anaesthetic but the anaesthetist was very good and everything went smoothly. I remember thinking that the anaesthetic wasn't working and the next moment woke up in the recovery room!

I was advised to take paracetamol and ibuprofen as soon as I woke up the next day and then as recommended throughout the day. I did do this but after a couple of days found I didn't need them anymore.

The WLE didn't give much discomfort but the SLNB was tender for probably about a week. Again I followed the advice to take it very easy for the first week and my husband did all the cooking and cleaning, so it's true about silver linings!

By the time I went back for my results two weeks later I could move my arm about normally although it probably took about a year before all sensation returned.

You also said that you wanted information on melanoma so you might find this information from Macmillan helpful. As before, if you want to ask any questions please go ahead.

Do you have a date for your ops yet?

The end.....

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember

That was very helpful thank you! My date is 14th July 

• Glad to help , I'm just sorry it couldn't be all in one post!

All the best for the 14th and do come back to let us know your results.

x

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember

Hi Laurnu94,

I'm glad to hear your surgery is booked in soon. Latchbrook has done a great job of filling in all the details. 

I'll look out for any new posts from you to  help out with any more information if you need it.

Take care.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi, 

2 part post :) 

I had a WLE and SLNB last Friday (19th). The day before I had dye injected at the site and I was put in a scanner for half hour then again for another half hour, they marked the node location with a pen, then home. No food from midnight and 1 glass of water at 7am, went in at 8am, I was 2nd on list so into hospital gown and my dressing gown and slippers. Anaesthesiologist and Dr came to explain everything and for me to ask questions. Walked down to theatre at 11. Onto the bed and cannula in my hand then woke up in my room. I had my upper arm and 1 underarm node removed. I woke up and fell back to sleep a few times but then I woke up and was fine.