Local recurrence

• 7 replies
  • 50 subscribers

Hi there, first post from me, I have been reading posts here for a few months.

Has anyone had local recurrence of melanoma on the scar?

Background - melanoma 1b on right calf WLE and negative SLNB last May.

Today I have noticed a blue/black raised spot on the scar, looks very like a blood blister. It can't have been there more than a week or two. It's not painful.

Obviously I am contacting the SCN but in the meantime wondering what they will do about it, do they cut it out like the original mole and send for testing?

Not looking forward to weeks of worrying again.

Cheers for any advice!

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that you're concerned that you might have a recurrence on your scar and I can totally understand why you wouldn't want to go through the whole having it removed and waiting for results again.

I haven't had a recurrence, so can't say what is likely to happen, but have you had chance to talk to your SCNS yet?

It would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and treatment to date into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Ida Marie

My partner had 2 local recurrences on his scar, and 2 further excisions in 2019/2020.

He was warned though that his melanoma was aggressive ,& there was a 75% chance of it coming back. If you see my profile you can read his journey

Margyy

• Hi Latchbrook, I left a message on Friday morning but they haven't called back, I'll call again on Monday.

Thanks.

• Hi Margyy,

I have just read your profile, sounds like you have both had a hard time through all of this.

Can I ask what the local recurrence looked like? Mine just looks like blood blister right on the scar. And do they just cut it out with a small margin to start off with?

Thanks.

• It was a hard lump on the scar, a bit purplish in colour.

It could just be scar tissue, but these were both recurrences, & they were both removed with a WLE.

My partner is doing ok, just waiting for scan results, & then we are planning a trip to somewhere warm.

• Hello,

I'm responding because the word 'blue' caught my attention.

Obviously, you are doing the best thing and contacting the SCN and getting it checked.

I definitely can't tell you anything useful about your blue/black spot but I can tell you that I grew a blue/black spot after my WLE + lymph node removal.

It indeed looked like a tiny, raised little bobble.  The spot was on my groin near where the lymph nodes were removed. The dermatologist said she suspected it was benign but to be sure they removed it using local anaesthetic (10 minutes) and biopsied it. Quick as anything.

It came back safe/not cancer and I learned the word BLUE NEVUS! They said 'oh, it's just a blue nevus'. But it was good they checked it. It's great you're getting it checked. I think I was told to pay attention to the scar tissue.

Fingers crossed for you.

Best,

Deirdre

• Thank you Deirdre, that's reassuring to read!