WLE on ankle

• 22 replies
  • 47 subscribers

Got my diagnosis of Stage 1B on Thursday and told I need SLNB and WLE on my ankle.  Just looking for info and experience from anyone who's had surgery in similar place?  Mine is just above where I wear shoes so I'm not sure how that will be affected and I'm wondering how people's mobility was immediately after surgery?

Thank you.

• Hi I had wle just below ankle on inside of right foot and skin graft plus slnb in groin. I had to have 6 weeks of work plus I had surgery 2 weeks before I was due back to work so 8 weeks altogether. I'm back at work now but foot not quite healed it does get uncomfortable when on it for 2 long so I'm on reduced hours at moment  and light duties as my job on feet all day i work in a school in catering so its physical. I did nearly managed 8 hours yesterday but it was aching afterwards and legs. I dont want to scare you all anything but unfortunately my lymph nodes had tiny melanoma so I'm now stage 3 but mine was 2mm breslow so it was high risks. I got to have a pet scan on Tuesday to make sure there is no small melanoma body and then to oncologist to see about treatment.  I know its hard not to worry but there is a lot of treatment.  

• Hi have a look at my profile mine was on the inside of my foot.Crutches for a couple of weeks and difficult wearing shoes, but improved in a couple of weeks.My foot and ankle were swollen for a while,so lots of massage and exercise.

Happy to give more info

Good luck as you move forward.

• Hi have a look at my profile mine was on the side of my foot.I was on crutches for a couple of weeks, some swelling and nerve pain .My skin graft took well.

SNLB didn't give me much problem as a wound. I did have a Seroma, a sack of fluid in the groin area which took some time to go down.

They did find some cancer cells in my lymph nodes so I have now had 6 sessions of immunotherapy,  3 to go.Doing well now,walking normally,no issues and getting on with my life.

It's a tough time but it will get easier.Good luck and happy to give more information if it will help on anyway.

• Hi so you have no side effects to treatment. I will be having treatment as found tiny melamona in lymph nodes. Got a pet scan on tuesday.did you have a pet scan.

• And my mole was on side of my foot so I guess I'm in the same boat as you.

• Sorry to hear your diagnosis. I also had 1b on my left shin about 2 to 3 inches above my ankle joint which required a skin graft from my thigh and slnb from my left groin. Sounds like yours may be slightly closer to the joint than mine was.Mobility in general wasnt necessarily an issue, but due primarily to the graft, I was asked to keep it immobile for 2 weeks initially, which became 3 based on how it was healing. I could do limited walking pretty much right away, though I was extremely concerned with knocking the wound about and it was heavily bandaged so no shoes for most of that. 

• Hi.  Thank you so much for your response.  It's really helpful for me to get a picture of what it all might look like.  I'm sorry your diagnosis got increased through the SLNB.  Yes the treatments seems quite intense for just one tiny little mole.  I work from home so I need to make sure I rest even when technically I could work in the early days.  I hope your treatment is successful and isn't too arduous.

• Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.  It's really helpful for me to understand everyone's experience and get a picture of what it might look like for me.  What was your initial stage diagnosis?  I'm really glad the treatment is going well. 

• Hi.  Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.  That's really helpful as it sounds really similar to mine.  So you didn't need crutches?

• Hi have you got to have skin graft.