Head and neck cancer spread to lymph nodes

• 4 replies
  • 7 subscribers

Mum’s just been diagnosed with had and neck cancer after spotting it on another MRI scan. She’s already got stomach cancer stage 4, spread to ovaries. We thought it had spread again but turns out she has another primary cancer in mouth/throat/tongue!

Started in throat and it’s spread all over head and neck literally! It’s in lymph nodes measuring 19mm each side and under her chin as well as the floor of her mouth, tongue, jaw, neck/skull bones, sinuses, saliva glands, throat etc.Sob

My question is, how big can the lymph nodes get before they press on veins/carotid arteries or before they cause major issues?

They are getting bigger by the week it’s scaring me. They can’t shrink them, she’s not eligible for any palliative radiotherapy or chemo, what can they do?

Sure there’s a point where they are too big? It’s hurting her to chew and move her neck. It’s just a horrible cancer is mouth/neck cancer, I’m so scared and no idea how long we’ve got left.Pensive

Thank you Broken heart

• Hi BlondieX,

Firstly, let me say I am so sorry your Mum (and all of you) have to deal with this. I have two secondary cancers, one in my upper spine and the other in my para-aortic lymph nodes. For context these are located in front of my spine behind my stomach at about kidney level. The cancerous chain of nodes is 11cm long with the largest being 22mm in size (as of April 2024). Strangely, they give me no pain (that I notice) and my oncologist said whilst the cancer remained in my lymph nodes I shouldn’t feel pain.

But, as you might have guessed my secondary lymph node cancer is incurable and I currently receive regular scans to monitor disease progression (my next scan is next week with results in the first week of August, so the above numbers might change) and some palliative pain management care for my secondary bone cancer.

I did read a paper on a study that discussed survival rates following operations to remove cancerous chains of lymph nodes but as far as I know the procedure is to not approved by UK medical authorities.

If it would be of interest (and I can remember) I can send you an update on my secondary lymph node cancer in August.

All the best.

Maninbath

• Thank you so sorry to hear what you’re going through too. Mum only has lymph nodes in her neck and these are causing her the most issues ie pain in neck turning head , chewing etc so was more askingWearyor people with neck lymph nodes as I’ve no idea how big they can grow without pressing on the carotid artery or veins Weary

• Hi

Firstly I am sorry to here you are going through this horrible disease also. I’m sorry to but in on someone else’s post, but I’ve recently been diagnosed with secondary lymph node cancer, cancer in lymph nodes in thorax and like yourself a chain of para-aortic lymph nodes. I’ve been told the prognosis is not good. I will be having chemotherapy. Have yet to meet with my chemo doctor which will be next week to discuss treatment. Would you mind if I could ask you some questions regarding your treatment and how you are feeling etc? 

• Hi Macker,

Sorry not to get back sooner - busy weekend. Feel free to read through my profile, if you haven’t already. I’m more than happy to discuss any questions you may have. 

Chat soon.

Tom