Secondary lung and liver cancer

• 2 replies
  • 3 subscribers

Well I've finally managed to get a face to face appointment with my oncologist.  However from the time I flagged up that there was an issue to the date of my appointment will be about twelve weeks.  Does anyone know how this delay will effect my treatment.  I feel like this is the start of the end of my life right now.

I'm already getting husky, even though the scan in March showed 'small spots' in my lung and liver, however my appetite is good and the issue with my liver doesn't seem to be leaving me feeling any symptoms other than a slight loss of appetite which I combat with just eating what I fancy when I fancy it. So I've not lost any weight to date.

I also have to make a decision over which course of treatment to take. I wondered if others could let me have they're experiences if they feel able to so I can make an informed choice

• Hi

I have just written a bit about my concerns on another thread on here. I was told that Ablation of my biggest nodule (Trevor) was a possibility (I have 5 over both lungs) but due to the corona virus all routine ops have been cancelled and it would be a 3 to 6 month wait just to see the surgeon with a wait on top of that for surgery. I guess that is also because I am considered incurable so a lower priority than curable patients I assume.

I was given the choice of chemo or not due to the risks of the virus but my thoughts are that I could die from the virus anyway (obese and asthmatic) so why not go for the chemo if it might extend my life and slow the disease progression. Like you my primary was bowel (rectal) and I am starting Folfiri chemo on the 30th April for six rounds then a scan to see if it is working. It is good to discuss it with family before hand I found as my consultation with my oncologist was over the phone and she needed some idea of what I wanted on the spot. When it comes to the virus I guess it is up to us to decide if we want to risk it. I told my family that if I died of Covid19 having chemo then not to have regrets, it was just bringing forward my inevitable death and might save me from a bit of suffering. Morbid I know but for me knowing that I tried was more important than feeling like I had chickened out. You throw the dice and don't really control what comes up.

A life lived in fear, is a life half lived.
    Nicky
  • Thanks for your reply

I too accept that treatment is the only way forward a chance is better than no chance.  Its just that different types of treatment have been mooted and I wondered if people had any idea which was the most effective.  

I find getting through the days at the moment the hardest my partner tries his best but hes obviously struggling as well

I have accepted that Cancer will probably be the reason for my death.  I just would like a few more years and if not that then a good death whatever that is

I hope your treatment goes well and the virus remains at bay whilst your immune system is down

But remember down and not OUT yet anyway

sylhop