Questions to ask following diagnosis

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 1 reply
  • 3 subscribers

We got the news that my mum has secondary lung cancer. It was all of a blur hearing the news so we have another appointment to talk about the diagnosis so I was just wondering what sort of questions to ask. We know that surgery is not an option and there was talk of chemotherapy but are there other treatment options we should ask about. Still feeling shocked and numb by it all so grateful for any advice so we can make sure we get the best for our mum. 

• Hi and welcome to the online community although I'm very sorry that you've had to find us.

Hearing that a member of your family has cancer is devastating so I'm not surprised that you have arranged another appointment to talk through the diagnosis and possible treatment options. As you'll see from this information the treatment that your mum is offered depends on what her primary cancer is, her general health along with any preferences she has. 

You could also look at this information on questions to ask your healthcare team and use them to prompt you when you see the consultant. One thing to bear in mind is to be careful not to ask a question that you think your mum might not want to know the answer to, for example prognosis. It would be a good idea to have a chat with her beforehand to find out if there's anything she would rather not know.

When you have a minute it would be really useful if could pop something about your mum's journey so far into your profile as it helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"