Surgery for lung mets

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 23 replies
  • 3 subscribers

Hi, all

I am concerned about my god-daughter, who has suddenly been diagnosed with uterine sarcoma, following a hysterectomy for "a fibroid", with two lung mets in one lung, no other evidence of metastasis.

I understand surgery,  either laser-assisted or by wedge resection, is an option. She is a UK citizen who has been living in France for the last few years to be near her 10 year old son's father, but her other family, friends etc are all in the UK.

Does anyone have experience of this diagnosis and treatment option? Can you recommend a particular hospital in the UK that she could ask her French consultant to refer her to?

Many, many thanks to anyone who can respond - she is franctic with worry, as you can imagine.

With love and best wishes

Bron

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Bron

I was diagnosed with lung mets in June 2010, 5 years after being diagnosed with Synovial Sarcoma. After tests and CT Scans I was told that the nodules could be surgically removed by having a Lung resection. I went into hospital on the Sunday afternoon in August had the operation on the Monday and was discharged on the Friday I was off work for 3 months. I do get out of breath quite easily now but nothing to serious I have routine 6 monthly scans to check if any more mets turn up.

My treatment was done at the Liverpool Heart and Chest hospital where there is a team of Thoracic surgeons who perform these procedures, my consultant was a Mr M  him and his team where excellent keeping me informed all along the way.

I would advise you to look on the hospital website that has a lot of information and this hospital is a centre of excellence in its field

Hope information helps

Steve 

• I would suggest you research RFA and cyberknife before you consider surgery.

I had 11 lung mets ablated with RFA and am going to ask for referral,to the Royal Marsden for cyberknife Alice Gillams did my RFA and she now works at the LONdon CLinic You can also get RFA at the BRompton If you want the Consultants names I can let you know

Ruth 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi, Steve

Thank you so much for your prompt and helpful response. I will wait to see if there are any more, then forward them to my friend (god-daughter's mother, who is beside herself, as you can no doubt imagine) together, this evening.

It's just great to have this support, thank you again,

with best wishes for a long and happy "remission" (if that is what it counts as?),

Bron

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to ruthjp

Dear Ruth

Thank you very much for your prompt and helpful reply. I will try to find out what RFA stands for.

I thought cyberknife referred to a targetted radiotherapy treatment? Have you got a specific reason for thinking this is more effective than surgery in treating lung mets?

With best wishes for your own treatment,

Bron x

• My husband has had lung surgery at the Royal Brompton in London. There are some excellent lung surgeons there and the care was fantastic.

• RFA stands for radio frequency ablation. RFA and cyberknife target and destroy the lung met without destroying any normal lung tissue You can find out about it on the accrf and accoi web sites also google
    Hope this helps

Ruth 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to ruthjp

Dear Ruth

Thank you so much! I am learning rather a lot of new stuff, rather quickly, I really appreciate your help.

It's actually doubly helpful, as I'm in contact with someone who is being offered non-surgical options for a primary lung cancer, following treatment for head and neck cancer nearly five years ago (which is how I know him - I was treated for head and neck cancer in November 2009). So, what I'm learning will help me understand the options he's facing, as well.

With love and best wishes

Bron x

• FormerMember

Hi Bron you will certainly find a lot of useful information on here as we are all in roughly the same situation therefore looking for the same things with regard to treatment and care, if you haven't already you may want to join the sarcoma group as well.

Ruth I am interested to hear about you operation with RFA and please forgive me if I have asked you before but did you have your RFA after chemo had been tried?  Do you only have secondaries in one lung or both and are they your only secondaries?  It's just that I am thinking about a plan B if my Pazopanib stops working and I have never been offered surgery on my lungs or RFA or cyberknife and I am trying to find out about them.  Thank you.

Jayne xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Bron,

Sorry to hear about your god-daughter, her and her mum must be very worried. 

I am glad you have got good info from the lovely people on here. 

I have lung mets from bowel cancer but I cannot have surgery or anything else as there are too many scattered over both lungs. I  can only have chemo and go back to see my onc today as I may need more. 

Good luck to your god-daughter hope she gets the op she needs but if not there is always chemo.

Hi to everyone else. Will let you know how I get on today.

Love and hugs to you all.

Pam xxx

• FormerMember

Good luck for today Pam, everything crossed and in my thoughts.

Love Jayne xx