Nerve pain

• 6 replies
  • 144 subscribers

Hi

I have small cell lung cancer, diagnosed in 2021, after two ops and chemo and radiotherapy, I'm suffering with nerve pain everywhere, nerve medication makes me vomit, any suggestions would be appreciated 

• Hi  I am sorry to hear you are suffering from nerve pain. I know how awful this can be. I have late onset of Peripheral neuropathy caused by radiotherapy I had 9 years ago. I have intense pins and needles in my back, which radiates to my shoulder and neck, and at times feels like electric shocks. I have purchased a massage pad that I can use whist sitting in my chair, and place the pad on my back. It does relieve it some what for me, but it is still there.

Have you tried using a tens machine for the pain. This might be worth speaking to your medical team about, it’s such a shame the meds make you sick. 

I will attach an information sheet below for you, that you may find helpful. Hope you find some relief from it soon. 

peripheral-neuropathy

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Hi KazDora

When my neuropathy flares up, I take antihistamine tablets.  Also, it is important that you keep your mobility levels high; 'use it or lose it' applies.  I find that keeping up my mobility level reduces the frequency and severity of the attacks.

Kegsy x

"If you are going through hell, keep going" ; Sir Winston Churchill
    " Cancer may take my life; however it will not become my life" Kegsy August 2011
  • I'm currently trialling TENS.  It doesn't have a residual effect but it's very useful for getting a break from the pain for  a while.

Lyrica just made me nauseous without any relief from the pain.  Heat and cold help sometimes.

• Hi

Please be very cautious if you are using 'cold' to relieve the nerve pain. Peripheral nerve endings do not like cold and, although it may provide temporary relief, you may be doing more long term harm than good.  Stick with heat but not too hot!

Kegsy x

" Cancer may take my life; however it will not become my life" Kegsy August 2011
  • Thankyou I have asked my lung nurse about alternative treatments and she's going to get back to me, will try Tens and heat but will stay away from cold as that makes my cramps worse x

• Hi

Me again.

Following the end of my treatment, I was referred to the in-hospital Complimentary Therapy team for acupuncture.

I am always sceptical regarding the outcomes of  such therapies as I think most are mind over matter.  However I knew that acupuncture was being used in vets for arthritic dogs etc, who wouldn't have mind over matter positive outcomes.  So I thought, what the heck, give it a go.

I had one session per week, and it did dampen down the effects of the neuropathy.

Ask if it is available for you.

Kegsy x